Problem slipstreaming a SATA driver

0sync0

I have a machine with Vista pre-installed. I installed XP into another partition for dual-boot. XP would not install or run unless I set the SATA drive in the BIOS to ATA mode. But Vista does not run in this mode. So I have to go into the BIOS every time I switch to a different OS.

I used nLite to slipstream the SATA driver but XP still doesn't run in SATA mode. I suspect that XP did not install the driver because it didn't see a SATA drive.

I don't have a floppy drive so I can't use the F6 method of loading the driver when installing.

Is it possible to add the SATA driver to the drivers that are loaded at the beginning of an install?

I used nLite to slipstream the SATA driver but XP still doesn't run in SATA mode. I suspect that XP did not install the driver because it didn't see a SATA drive.
What chipset does your motherboard have?
... and which S-ATA driver did you integrate using nLite?
Is it possible to add the SATA driver to the drivers that are loaded at the beginning of an install?
You have to integrate the S-ATA driver as TEXTMODE driver. A TXTSETUP.OEM file is needed within the driver folder.

You have to integrate the S-ATA driver as TEXTMODE driver. A TXTSETUP.OEM file is needed within the driver folder.

I've seen a few guides that do that and I didn't understand why. I guess I know now.

In Vista Device Manager the controller is listed as Intel 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller. When inserting the textmode driver in nLite I choose the only Intel 82801HR option available. XP still crashed after loading drivers.

So I then added two generic controllers listed and it worked.

It sure would be helpful for testing this stuff if the BIOS could boot from an ISO.