Major Porblem - Cannot Boot!

ringfinger

I went to install a new 500GB Seagate 7200.10 hard drive into my system today and now I cannot boot into Windows normally. I powered everything off added the drive to the existing ones (76gb Raptor, 320gb Seagate 7200.10) booted up, it went to the XP loading screen, finished and right as it was about to goto the desktop it BSOD'd. It automatically rebooted, I let it go.. did the same thing. I went into the BIOS, it's detected and all settings look right. Now here's the jacked up part...

I pulled the drive and now I get the same result minus the blue screen. I boot (With the raptor and the 320 seagate) it shows the xp load screen, as soon as the desktop should appear it just reboots. It then prompts me to go into safe mode... SAFE MODE WORKS. SO... I know its a driver issue but what driver is jacked? I resintalled the driver for the mass storagte controller... I've swapped SATA cables and positions and power. I've unplugged video, dvd and RAM reset BIOS to default, tried last known good config. I've done everything I can think of and need someone to point me in the right direction!?!? I know its got to be a driver issue because it loads up in safe mode.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium

P4 3.4 Prescott

76gb SATA Raptor

320gb SATA Seagate 7200.10

x1800xt 512mb

4x 512 Crucial Ballistix 6400

Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Platinum

PLEASE HELP FELLOW MSFN FRIENDS.

-Ringfinger

I've uninstalled both audio and video devices.. not to sure how to only uninstall just the driver. I always just remove the device itself. I've also uninstalled everything under SCSI and RAID controllers. Also, on another note... right now in safe mode I have both the original drives plugged in. I can see my C: drive which is the raptor but I cannot see my E: drive which should be the 320gb seagate. Under comp mgmt > disk mgmt I can see the 320 as a healthy simple volume but it shows up with no drive letter assigned. WTF?!?

to uninstall the drivers you can just go into the device manager, right click the device, and click uninstall.

and hopefully u didnt kill ur other drive somehow. if it's not the boot drive then you might as well unplug it for now. it most likely is fine and just needs a drive letter assigned. otherwise you could do a simple restore on it with a data recovery program.

While in safe mode I cannot uninstall the video or audio because it's not recognized. I do have the second drive unplugged right now but I still have the same result. I can only get into safe mode. Is there some low level system driver or something which doesn't load during a normal boo0t that's killing me??

I'm so p***ed and ignorantly impatient... if I don't find an answer in 10 minutes I formatting everything. WHICH BLOWS

Good idea man.. I'll try that. Done backing up ... well not done.. you can never be done trying to backup 2+ years of system data, games saves, docs and whatnot... but I don't care. This blows. Installing on the 3rd drive in 5... be back shortly...

PLEASE, IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA......

Oh NO sorry to hear that, i hate this board issues when i used to fix my customer PC. There was so many problem with this board, not only the driver, BIOS itself too. Here what i did, hope it helps:

1. Update the latest BIOS (reset Default) then restart.

2. Enter CMOS again to reconfigure your settings ...ect. reboot.

3. Make sure remove any USB storages... (USB external HDD, USB FLashDrive...ect)

4. Enter CMOS again to choose boot option -> choose your Primary boot HDD. Disable any USB boot.

If you're running RAID onboard i recommend NOT, because it will boot RAID as primary before IDE boot doesn't matter you change IDE as primary boot. Otherwise you will get the blue screen like... check your hardware contact vendor ... blah blah blah.

(i know that's stupid) i think ASUS knows the problem but not sure they have the new BIOS firmware to fix that yet.

Try that, goodluck!

Oh by the way, older BIOS version also errors when you remove/add HDD, you also need to reconfigure your CMOS settings after add/remove hard drives.

Edited by midi2k6

1. Updated to the latest BIOS

2. Settings correct

3. All USB devices accept for mouse and KB were removed

4. Primary drive selected as first boot device

Thanks all for the suggestions... but I just formatted my sys drive. It sucks... coming back to realize all that I've lost. But at the same time its nice.. starting from a clean slate.

I know it’s a little late, but I had a similar problem a little while ago. I had to run msconfig in safe mode to disable all of my start up items and then enable them one at a time until I found the offending item.

I've uninstalled both audio and video devices.. not to sure how to only uninstall just the driver. I always just remove the device itself. I've also uninstalled everything under SCSI and RAID controllers. Also, on another note... right now in safe mode I have both the original drives plugged in. I can see my C: drive which is the raptor but I cannot see my E: drive which should be the 320gb seagate. Under comp mgmt > disk mgmt I can see the 320 as a healthy simple volume but it shows up with no drive letter assigned. WTF?!?

Did you by chance have your page file on the 320? Or did you have Program Files moved to the 320? Or did you have any apps installed on the 320?

If it shows up as a healthy volume, reassign drive E: to it and then try to boot. You can do that in Disk Management by right clicking the volume (NOT the drive) and selecting "Change Drive Letter and Paths...". ALL you want to do is assign E: back to the volume...don't format it or do anything else to the drive. Putting the new drive in probably messed this up somehow (even though it's not supposed to).

EDIT: Just saw that you reformatted. :( Wish I'd seen this thread a little sooner.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Me too nmX... me too. I lost tons of crap in a haste. I'm back up and running now, all 3 drives are up. I just keep having a problem with my sound card. When its in the slot and I boot as soon as windows hits the desktop and being the found new hardware process it just reboots. SO, I've caught it, uninstalled it and have reloaded the drivers for it. Its now producing some wird sounds though on the 5.1 system. I still have a little tweaking to do, some volume leveling issues between the speakers... but hoopefully I can figure it out and start over again :(