slip Winxp with vista upgrade pack to make VISTA?

mikesw

I'm wondering since Vista is expensive if bought as a full retail install that if I buy the cheaper Vista upgrade

software for either the home, biz, ultimate edition whether I can slip the upgrade version into Windows XP SP2

and use the license info given with the VISTA upgrade in unattended mode, that I can make a full version of VISTA without

having to buy the more expensive license?

Hey, I'm Cheap! :whistle:

Does this mean Win XP Home can only make Vista Home basic using the Vista home basic upgrade pack?

Does this mean Win XP Pro can only make Vista Home basic using the Vista Home basic upgrade pack?

Does this mean Win XP Home/Pro can only make Vista Biz using the Vista Biz upgrade pack? The same if Ultimate upgrade too would apply...

Hence HOME wouldn't be restricted to the equivalent Home edition in Vista and a Pro wouldn't be restricted to Ultimate or Biz....

Can Nlite/vlite be modified to do this such that it treats it like a service pack?

What about slipping a Win XP 32 bit version with a Vista 64 bit upgrade pack to make it a full Vista 64 bit or am

I restricted to 32 bit can only make 32 bit and 64 bit can only make 64 bit?

You can only upgrade to any version of Vista after you have installed XP

Not true; you can install directly Vista upgrade and insert any XP cd when it ask for.

Ok, but does it matter which XP version - for example home or professional CD - is

inserted into a particular VISTA upgrade version (that is VISTA Home to Ultimate)?

What about converting from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa. That is install VISTA 64 bit upgrade,

then insert WIN XP 32 bit to make a VISTA 64 bit full install?

Now if I could only do it with VIXTA (not mispelled)...... :thumbup:blink:

YES it DOES matter,

for any version of vista Home (home basic, home premium) you need windows xp home (retail)

for vista buisness you need windows XP pro (retail)

for vista ultimate you can use any xp version... (retail)

you can NOT upgrade or downgrade OEM versions...

you say you want it cheap - buy an OEM vista and licence it to your 'new' pc ...

yet you wont have any support from MS...

YES it DOES matter,

for any version of vista Home (home basic, home premium) you need windows xp home (retail)

for vista buisness you need windows XP pro (retail)

for vista ultimate you can use any xp version... (retail)

you can NOT upgrade or downgrade OEM versions...

you say you want it cheap - buy an OEM vista and licence it to your 'new' pc ...

yet you wont have any support from MS...

Very informative.

What if XP Pro is a volume corporate license? How does the retail vs OEM Vista upgrade

work for this case?