Update Windows Update

Hi,

When I first go to the Windows Update site after a new unattended install using VirtualPC, I'm always asked to update Windows Update. No "KBxxxxx" is listed, so does anyone know if this "first" update can be integrated or even what it is?

I've integrated kb893803-v2 and WindowsUpdateAgent30, so it's not those... :blink:

Thanks,

Gray

Make sure you have the latest version of WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86. If you extract the contents of WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86 check the file version on some of the dll files (They should be 7.0.6000.381).

I think you also need KB905474 Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exeand the latest LegitCheckControl.cab.

Edited by FrankE9999

Make sure you have the latest version of WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86. If you extract the contents of WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86 check the file version on some of the dll files (They should be 7.0.6000.381).

I think you also need KB905474 Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exeand the latest LegitCheckControl.cab.

Thanks... I'm using the latest version of WindowsUpdateAgent30. I'll try and integrate 905474 (think I already have though).

Silly question, but where exactly do I put the cab file? Do I have to extract it somewhere, run it during the install or what?

Just to verify that WindowsUpdateAgent30 was installed correctly. Check the file version on the following files (They should all be version 7.0.6000.381).

%SystemRoot%\system32\cdm.dll

%SystemRoot%\system32\wuapi.dll

%SystemRoot%\system32\wuaueng.dll

%SystemRoot%\system32\wucltui.dll

%SystemRoot%\system32\wups.dll

%SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll

%SystemRoot%\system32\wuweb.dll

I haven't got this integrated and am installing it using RunOnceEx. I extracted the contents of WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe to a folder using 7zip. This file contained a file called WGANOT~1.EXE. I extracted that file again using 7zip which created a folder structure similar to the one below.

LegitCheckControl.dll

spmsg.dll

spuninst.exe

update

wgalogon.dll

wgatray.exe

update\update.exe

update\update.inf

update\update.ver

update\updspapi.dll

update\wganotify.cat

update\wgawizard.dll

update\wga_eula.txt

I copied LegitCheckControl.dll and LegitCheckControl.inf from the LegitCheckControl.cab file to the folder above. Replacing the older version of LegitCheckControl.dll.

To install it I use "update\update.exe /quiet /norestart". Not the best method but it does work. I would think that you should be able to install the LegitCheckControl.dll simply using the LegitCheckControl.inf but I haven't had time to test this.

Windows XP SP2 updates for use with HFSLIP shows that this can be done.

Edited by FrankE9999