Display dot dirs in explorer

skagon

Basically, I wonder if it's possible to get the . and .. directories displayed in any explorer window. I remember seeing that a long time ago, on a Chicago beta (must have been late 1994), but after that, they both vanished. Now, I know they're there, as I know there's some little option somewhere in the registry or explorer itself that hides these two. Does anyone know how to display them?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what directory's do you mean ?? maybe these directory's have since been removed as you say the OS was in Beta form ??

has anyone else heard of the so called DOT . directory's ?? i always like to know what Microsoft is hiding please enlighten us..

Edited by R3verseEngin33r

Open a command prompt, change into a sub directory and list the directory contents. You will see two directories listed first '.' and '..'

'.' refers to the current directory,

'..' refers to the parent directory.

wow that takes me back. my guess is they got pulled cause only the .. was useful inside a gui since the . could only serve as a drag/drop target (and why not use the blank space in the window) as for the .. id like to see it make a comeback (especially in vista since somebody at MS decided that back was the same thing as up)

I must be missing something here i enter CMD cd to C:\ enter command DIR but a still don't see any such

directory.. But when i use RUN and Enter . it take me to C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%

And .. Takes me to C:\Documents and Settings is this a feature is Windows XP x64 ??

:hello:

You won't see them in a CMD windows when at c:\ only when in a sub directory, like c:\windows. C:\ has no parent directory (..)

As far as I know it is available in any version of windows, and has been around ever since subdirectories were supported by DOS.

Some third party file explorers still show . and .. as available folders, not sure how to get Windows Explorer to do it.

Oh right so its like a Shortcut thats why when i type .. into RUN it takes me to

C:\Documents and Settings\%USER% because this is the parent folder of C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%Desktop

What kinda of Explorer replacements are available ?? Can these be build into the windows untented setup ??..

thanx for the Info