Undelete software for Windows XP

Wai_Wai

Undelete software for Windows XP

I would like to find a good and reliable undelete software. My requirements:

- unlike file recovery software, it should back up any files deleted by any means. This ensures deleted files can be 100% recoverable.

- it will save any changed files (eg .txt, .doc, .xls). This ensure you can recover files in case the file is accidentally overwritten when we fat-finger. We can still restore the older version.

- the deleted files and different version of saved files will be kept for a specific period before disposal

Does anyone know whether there is any good and reliable file backup/versioning software for Windows XP?

It doesn't matter even if it is shareware.

The more powerful or more feature-rich, the better.

Thank you. :thumbup

It doesn't really look like you're looking for an undelete or recovery tool, but for a backup utility.

Yeah in some extent.

But it actually backup my deleted files only, so it is not a normal backup utility does.

At best it saves at least one old version of the changed file.

Windows Vista has such a built-in undelete feature too (but I use Windows XP).

Good job. Looks like what I want for "protecting changed file" part :thumbup

As far as backing up deleted files, the only one I know of that does it is the Norton Protected Recycle Bin that comes as a part of Norton SystemWorks.

Hmm... can I get the Norton Protected Recycle Bin only?

I don't want to get a bundled program in which I want one feature only.

Thanks so much for your answer.

Edited by Wai_Wai

There is/was a tool by Mark Russinovich (sysinternals) called fundelete that was designed for NT but that is said to work allright under 2K and XP too.

"Invisible" text on:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Fundelete.html

Fundelete replaces the standard Windows NT/2000/XP recycle bin and allows you to undelete files, even if they have been deleted from other programs or the command line. The standard recycle bin only catches files that have been deleted from within Windows explorer - Fundelete extends this to include all files, regardless from where they have been deleted. You can set an exclusion list for files that you do not want to be kept in the Fundelete recycle bin (e.g your browser cache, cookies, temp files etc.) and also remove all or selected files from the bin. Fundelete cannot recover files that have been deleted before it was installed. The program was originally designed for Windows NT, but works with 2000 and XP as well.

AFAIK the file was removed from public availability when Sysinternals was acquired by MS, but you may be able to find it, last version should be 2.02, here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050526232211/...fundelete.shtml

A tool to have a look at for Synchronizing is this one:

http://samedir.sbn.bz/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

As a record, this utility has an backup-type undelete feature:

http://www.v-com.com/product/Fix-It_Utilities_Home.html

Description:

Retrieve Trashed Files

Whether you've accidentally deleted a file or you've been zapped by a virus, Fix-It Utilities can help. FileUndeleter allows you to search for and rescue accidentally deleted files. The Deleted Files Bin stores deleted files, even after they've been emptied out of the Recycle Bin.

A bit late but I found Recuva, free ware and works great. :)

Thank you.

This is similar to the mainstream recovery programs where it tries to recover deleted files which haven't been overwritten yet. This is not the 100% safe recovery method. Avira Antivir has an undelete program (freeware) too.

A few programs mentioned above uses a different approach. They catch up the deleted files when they are deleted, so if we want to recover them, they are always available. They are 100% reliable recovery method.

Edited by Wai_Wai