Would nLited WinXP cause higher cpu temps?

scott14

Just installed Windows XP Pro SP2 with nLite slim-down. The air-cooled cpu is AMD Athlon 64 4200+ X2 (dual core).

The cpu temperature reads dangerously high - burn-out high.

So I took it all apart, reinstalled new Arctic Silver 5, and totally took everything back down to stock settings, with vcore at only 1.296 volts, and after all that (now) :

temperatures per Everest Ultimate Edition:

CPU 71 Deg C

CPu #1 / Core # 1 22 Deg C

CPU #2 / Core #2 27 Deg C

temperatures per ITE SmartGuardian:

CPU 71 Deg C

In nLite's Unattended / General tab / Choice of Computer type box, I chose ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Did that affect the type of HAL that was installed, affecting cpu temp?

Or is the temp reading probably just something wrong in software? How can I know? (don't have a multimmeter to hand test it).

Edited by scott14

Is it a brisbane core??

My 4800 is and it is showing under ambient temps, and going by some of the forums I have read the temps on Brisbanes can show high or low.

Have a look at http://forums.amd.com/forum/ and search temps, will get a lot of hits.

Also it could be hardware gone bad too, so Im not just blaming temp sensors.

(Hope you understood all that.)

I would let the PC run for awhile and then stick my hand in the case to see how hot the air is.

If its dangerously high like you say.... it should be like a toaster oven after awhile. If its not, then maybe the sensors, or the software is messed up.

Have you checked what the BIOS readouts say?

In nLite's Unattended / General tab / Choice of Computer type box, I chose ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Did that affect the type of HAL that was installed, affecting cpu temp?

You selected the correct HAL. You must choose the Multiprocessor HAL or it won't see (read: use) the second core.

Have you installed the machine without using nLite to see if the heat problem still exists?

Also, have you installed all of the AMD CPU drivers? You need both the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer and the AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64) from this page. It probably wouldn't hurt to grab the AMD Power Monitor Version 1.1.5 as well.

Thank you everybody!

I followed all of your suggestions, after which the problem seems to be solved (cross fingers).

After uninstalling the cpu drivers, then reinstalling the drivers suggested by nmX.Memnoch , the temp has held steady at around 36 Deg C with my overclock settings.

Wow what a huge difference, from 71 Dec C to 36 Deg C just because of the proper cpu drivers.

Your help and good troubleshooting ideas were very helpful to me, and much appreciated.

Thank you all.