Windows Deployment Services

Chaudry

Hi guys i have installed Windows Deployment Services Few months back. Its working fine. But i have few questions regarding the WDS !

there is a feature in WDS in which only the authorized clients can access to WDS using the GUID or MAC address by creating the account in the Active Directory (Something known as pre-staging). We have around 5000 students in our college and for security reasons we want only those 5000 users to connect to the Windows Deployment Services.

There was a scenario where one of the students will bring his brothers or sisters laptop and connect to WDS for Imaging & due to licensing reasons we don't want that to happen.

So how i can capture or reterive the MAC Address / GUID of those 5000 computers which are connected on the network and then authorize them in Windows Deployment Services ???

Plzzzzzzzzzzzz guys help me out i m waiting for your reply !

Hi,

I would assume that you can obtain this information using WMI, I know for sure that the MAC address can obtained atleast.... not sure about the GUID but prolly. Once you have written the WMI code (vbscript) and posted it to a server/file/webservice, u can then import them into the WDS? I have never played around with the prestage thing in WDS so I am not sure how that part works out but, for being able to obtain the MAC, it is easy using WMI code creator or something similar. WMI code creator example script can be obtained free of charge from the MS website....

GOod luck to u....

Since you are using wds already I would assume that you have a DHCP server.

It contains all hostnames and macaddresses for everything that that dhcp server has issued an IP to.

The DHCP database happends to be an ordinary jet DB so it should be rather easy to extract the info from it