Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

ONGD - $$$$ - QuickView Pro 2.60

A DOS multimedia/audio player.

Latest version was released last month. Previous update was 7 years ago!

What's new is support for MP4 movie playback. It works pretty good. I've been a registered user for a couple years now. Didn't expect more updates. But this is pretty neat.

http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/index.html

PeaZip dropped support: 

Windows 9x and NT4 are no longer supported, starting from release 5.5.2 (2014 12 23) as 7x 9.35 backend requires Windows 2000 or newer system; last version supporting Windows 9x and NT4 is PeaZip 5.5.1; other releases are available here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ONGD -- Free -- PhotoFiltre 7.2.0

http://www.freewarefiles.com/PhotoFiltre_program_13972.html

System requirements say at least XP, but it works totally fine on Windows ME even without KernelEx.

Here's a direct link:

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

Find add-ons, plugins, tutorials, etc there.  

It's a versatile graphic-image editing program.

- Doug B.

• 3 months later...

The latest GeoGebra 5.0 (just released May 12, 2015 :w00t:) works perfectly on Windows 98. However, it doesn't run out of the box because the bundled Java runtime is not compatible with Windows 98. However, there is an unofficial build of OpenJDK for Windows which you can download here. Delete the C:\Program Files\GeoGebra 5.0\jre directory and replace it with the one from the OpenJDK, and GeoGebra runs happily on Windows 98. GeoGebra does freeze up occasionally, even on Windows 7, so it's not the most stable program out there, but it's still my favorite algebra and graphing program.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!

What exactly is the problem with official SQLite builds? With KernelEx installed and set to Windows 98SE compatibility, official builds work on my machine.

Is there any set of tests available to thoroughly check the behavior of official+KernelEx builds versus your fixed builds?

• 2 weeks later...

Official build has a problem.

It use "TryEnterCriticalSection"

My build is fixed it.

Thank you!

What exactly is the problem with official SQLite builds? With KernelEx installed and set to Windows 98SE compatibility, official builds work on my machine.

Is there any set of tests available to thoroughly check the behavior of official+KernelEx builds versus your fixed builds?

Official build has a problem.

It use "TryEnterCriticalSection"

My build is fixed it.

I see. So on my 98SE machine the official build works because KernelEx takes care of TryEnterCriticalSection (I looked through the sources).

Guess it's worth stating that KernelEx users on 98SE/ME can use official builds of SQLite provided the library is set to 98SE or ME compatibility, respectively.

Non-KernelEx users should use these libraries fixed by blackwingcat.

Arigatou gozaimash!ta! :)

(somebody should seriously look through the board filters because NOT all words that CONTAIN sh!t are actually profanities :( )

Edited by Drugwash

• 2 months later...