Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Thanks, I'll check the Firefox site for an update, but for now I'm fairly at peace with K-meleon.

My system is a cocktail of 98/ME/2000/XP/2003 files, which has endured countless crashes during testing with alpha-staged and/or badly coded apps (including my own :) ), but it's still standing and going strong. The folders Temp, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History are automatically deleted upon each start-up (granted, this can happen every 2-3 weeks, at times, unless I screw up ;) ); as for the registry - I'd rather clean it up manually, when needed, but - except for recent browser testing - I haven't installed foreign apps in a long time and my own scripts/apps usually don't use the registry, so it should be in a fairly OK state.

Defragmentation is however a delicate matter, since I have a 160GB HDD but the BIOS is not LBA48-aware so it only gives me 137GB of available space, which required LLXX's BigHDD patch, therefore the ScanFrag package must be used. All in all, I'd rather leave it as is than risk losing all the unsaved work and especially the system settings that proved almost perfect for the last 5 years. ;)

Apologies for the off-topic.

Firefox has far bigger issues: I have 3.6.20 (beta, probably) and at some point - not sure what the trigger is - thre GDI system gets screwed up, artifacts appear and stay on the screen and the only way out is a reboot.

Same thing happens with K-meleon 1.7.0, which uses the same Gecko engine as Firefox, just a little bit behind with the version. Apparently after a longer usage time, however.

Symptoms usually appear after navigating through Wordpress blogs while logged in (I have a blog there - don't bother unless you know Romanian); there's a stupid toolbar attached to each WP page visited while logged in.

Might be relevant/helpful :

Joe.

I can confirm that it works on Windows ME. Worked just fine on my computer.

In between using Tiny Firewall, Kerio, and Sygate, Outpost 1.0 has a nice blend of friendly user interface, and low memory overhang.

Tiny and Kerio require more knowledge of making rules and knowing what programs are running in the background. You'll have to permit or deny all kinds of weird Windows processes from running.

Sygate Firewall works good, has a friendly user interface, but it uses around 10 MB of memory compared to Tiny/Kerio's 2 MB in the background.

Outpost 1.0 uses around 2 mb, has a very friendly user interface, and generally, in my opinion, less annoying than any of the others.

(If you're wondering how I know the approximate amount of ram these programs use, it's because I use a small System Info tool called SIV. I recommend version 4.15 or older for Win9x).

http://rh-software.com/

Edited by ScrewUpgrading