Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

ONGD - FREE - Maxthon 2.1.5.1256

Last Maxthon version w9x compatible is 2.1.5.1256 direct download, Maxthon website.

Note that on the download archive page, it's refered as 2.1.5.1250 but the 2.1.5.1256 ANSI version will be automaticaly downloaded at the end of the installation process (so you must be connected to the internet to have the ANSI version installed otherwise there won't be any exe file to run).

(On the list it was written Maxthon 1.6/2.0, which means 1.6 or 2.0.)

One detail: press Ctrl+F to have the "search in page" dialog as it seems that they forgot a direct menu item for this tool.

ONGD - FREE - DVDFab HD Decrypter --- http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Someone might want to take a relook at this one. The latest stable DVDFab, version 6.0.6.0, is giving me an illegal operation error. I uninstalled RevolutionsPack9 and KernelEx, but it still crashes. DrWatson doesn't report anything else. The crash says:

DVDFAB caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:00000001

I have also reported this recently at DVDFab's forums, but no answers yet. DVDFab still supposedly supports 98SE, as is stated on their site, but it's unknown if and when they will drop it... especially once they see this error of mine! Perhaps someone else here can try it out. The last DVDFab version that worked fine for me in 98SE was 5.2.2.2.

Edited by technoid

If anyone is using Super AntiSpyware Free on 98SE, I would advise them NOT to update to Version 4.25.1012.

Version 4.24.1004 works fine and continues to download definitions updates with no problem. If this continues and there should be no reason to expect it not to be the case then we will still have a least one decent malware scanner to work with after the recent demise of the Emsisoft A-Squared 9x version scanner.

Whether this problem gets cured in a future version is unclear but we may well be looking at V.4.24.1004 being the last SAS Free version for 98 users that works.

HTH

Colin

The current versions of SAS Free from V4.28.XXXX onwards do NOT run on 9X systems at all despite SAS indicating that they will according to current information on their website.  :unsure:

However they have indicated that they "do not unwind releases" and V4.24.1004 will continue to support 9X.  :rolleyes:

Edited by lightning slinger

ONGD - FREE - DVDFab HD Decrypter --- http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Someone might want to take a relook at this one. The latest stable DVDFab, version 6.0.6.0, is giving me an illegal operation error. I uninstalled RevolutionsPack9 and KernelEx, but it still crashes. DrWatson doesn't report anything else. The crash says:

DVDFAB caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:00000001

I have also reported this recently at DVDFab's forums, but no answers yet. DVDFab still supposedly supports 98SE, as is stated on their site, but it's unknown if and when they will drop it... especially once they see this error of mine! Perhaps someone else here can try it out. The last DVDFab version that worked fine for me in 98SE was 5.2.2.2.

Problem its on vso_hwe.dll - replace with vso_hwe.dll / DVDFab 5

Problem its on vso_hwe.dll - replace with vso_hwe.dll / DVDFab 5

Well, it did not quite work. I renamed vso_hwe.dll in the 6.0.6.0 folder and then as you instructed, I copied over vso_hwe.dll from 5.2.2.2 into the 6.0.6.0 folder. The illegal op is gone and the program continues until you choose which function you want, e.g. DVD to DVD or free HD Decrypter, etc. Choose desired function and from there a pop up error occurs: "Encountered an improper". Press Ok and you get a weird screen, most of the program is invisible and your desktop/Start is messed up. You need to end DVDFab task to get back to normal, but you need to reboot anyway, because it's still messy. I will try in another 98SE box.

Latest DVDFab seems to be poisoned with terrible GDI leak. GDI Heap Extender is able to make it run, but it still leaks more than half of system resources. You can try to persuade developers to fix that, but usually they don't really care.

Note: GDI Heap Extender is still in deep beta.

... DVD to DVD or free HD Decrypter, etc. Choose desired function and from there a pop up error occurs: "Encountered an improper". Press Ok and you get a weird screen, most of the program is invisible and your desktop/Start is messed up. You need to end DVDFab task to get back to normal, but you need to reboot anyway, because it's still messy. I will try in another 98SE box.

DVD to DVD - only with Alcohol 120% (1.9.5.3) split big ISO at 1 GB. (This software ISO (DVD to DVD) required NTFS (>4GB)....

Latest DVDFab seems to be poisoned with terrible GDI leak. GDI Heap Extender is able to make it run, but it still leaks more than half of system resources. You can try to persuade developers to fix that, but usually they don't really care.

Note: GDI Heap Extender is still in deep beta.

DVD to DVD - only with Alcohol 120% (1.9.5.3) split big ISO at 1 GB. (This software ISO (DVD to DVD) required NTFS (>4GB)....

Thanks guys. I will try to persuade them (DVDFab developers), but so far no real help at their forums. A couple of their users keep saying to upgrade my O/S, hehe (FYI, yes it does work on my XP).

There is a new stable DVDFab released, 6.0.7.0. I do not see anything in "changelog" concerning 98SE issues. I have not downloaded it yet (I'm on dialup). Perhaps someone can test that too.

6.0.7.0 changes:

DVDFab products 6.0.7.0 is out (September 18, 2009):

http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

What's New:

DVDFab 6.0.7.0 Updated!

* New: Updated language files.

DVDFab "DVD to DVD":

* New: Added support for new copy protections as found on DVDs (Knowing, etc.) from EUROVIDEO, Germany.

* New: Improved PathPlayer performance in certain cases.

* Fix: Playable content may be removed in very special case when PathPlayer is enabled.

* Note: PathPlayer is very stable now, we strongly recommend user to "Always enable PathPlayer".

DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray":

* New: AACS MKB15 (Easy Virtue, US) is fully supported now.

* New: Improved copying performance when there are multiple unit keys.

* Fix: Blu-ray disc cannot be opened when there are certain authoring errors.

This begs my next question... is there a free/share-ware DVD burner that someone highly recommends, for 98SE?

This begs my next question... is there a free/share-ware DVD burner that someone highly recommends, for 98SE?

You could try the last ANSI (9x) version of the free InfraRecorder 0.45:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/infrarecor...si.exe/download

BTW, DVDFab 6.0.7.0 seems to work okay for me in 98SE.

Edited by RetroOS

You could try the last ANSI (9x) version of the free InfraRecorder 0.45:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/infrarecor...si.exe/download

I don't understand, did they take away 9x support? I can't even find that mentioned at infrarecorder.org and their changelogs .
BTW, DVDFab 6.0.7.0 seems to work okay for me in 98SE.
Great to hear! Did you go all the way through a process and, say, try to copy a DVD movie and then burn the copy to disc without a messed up Windows? I will try to download it this weekend when I have broadband available and then I'll return here to say if it did work or not for me. Edited by technoid

...I don't understand, did they take away 9x support? I can't even find that mentioned at infrarecorder.org and their changelogs...

No mention. They just plain stopped compiling an ANSI version after 0.45!

Up until then, they had both ANSI and Unicode versions.

I did try the latest Unicode version with KernelEx and it seemed to load to the GUI okay, but I did not test it any further.

...Did you go all the way through a process and... then burn the copy to disc without a messed up Windows?...

Actually, I just checked that it would start up to the GUI - sorry. I'll have to test it out properly.

The previous version I had was 5.2.3.2.

The installer grew about 60% in size between 5.x and 6.x.

Edited by RetroOS

Actually, I just checked that it would start up to the GUI - sorry. I'll have to test it out properly.

The previous version I had was 5.2.3.2.

The installer grew about 60% in size between 5.x and 6.x.

One reason I like DVDFab is the eval/free version has the movie decoding and burning both functioning. Version 5.x works fine, but it doesn't have burning. I don't have 5.2.3.2 (I will have to find it), but I'm assuming that doesn't have burning either (in the free version). Plus the fact every new DVDFab version can decode newer movie securities. Anyway, I hope Infrarecorder can burn decoded movies, as I haven't tried it yet.

Oh, I just realized that soporific's Autopatcher98 has Infrarecorder (0.44 I think), just never tried it, heh. I knew there was something vaguely familiar about the name "Infrarecorder".

Edited by technoid

• 2 weeks later...

A growing number of 9X users are running without resident AV programs, some are surviving by good housekeeping and some are surviving by good fortune.

The periodic use of online scanners is therefore the only method of checking if you are operating a clean machine.

The following online AV scanners are currently still supporting 9X. Some require IE and ActiveX and some do list support for other browsers, however I personally run them all on IE6 and is the only time IE is put to use.

Symantec Security Check (Virus Detection and Security Scan)

http://security.syma...WelcomePage.asp

Eset Online Scanner

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan

McAfee Free Scan

http://home.mcafee.c...anDownload.aspx

Trend Micro Housecall 6.5

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk

Edit: Trend Micro Housecall 6.5 has been replaced by version 7.1, this does not function on 9X.

Edited by lightning slinger