Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

@loblo - my apologies - obviously I was wrong about sensors under the (eg) CPU?

edit - Using Motherboard Monitor 5 on my PC-Chips - it has Case and CPU Temps showing - the BIOS also shows these (and additionally System Temp).

edit2 - looks like it depends on the hardware - newer CPU's apparently built in. (Older need the MoBo sensor.)

edit3 - CPUID HW Monitor Supported HW (v1.19)

edit4 - odd... Case+CPU+System all display (as Temp0+1+2), the HDD's display, but the nVidia GeForce MX400 doesn't show (even though supposed to support nVidia)

P.S. and this is on 2K3, NOT W98, so pay attention to versions (maybe?)...

edit 4 - RivaTuner (latest not for W98 according to site - v2.24c)

edit 5 - RivaTuner v2.24 nLite Add-On (appears to be that version)

edit 6 - RivaTuner Tutorial

Nope, Monitoring but no Temps - This

Not all cards come with hardware monitoring.
The Hardware must support it regardless (sensors)! Edited by submix8c

Lavalys' Everest Ultimate Edition has all that and then some (i.e. GPU cooler speed), however that is a commercial application. I don't know if it's previous freeware version - the well known at the time Aida32 - has these functions or whether it can be found anywhere on the web for download.

I have no knowledge of other freeware application that encompasses all the functions required. Something relatively close but not without quirks may be the old SmartGuardian by ITE, which has been shipped on drivers' CD as utility for some motherboards. It has the nasty habit of setting itself to autorun on startup even when that option is disabled in its Settings panel.

When I took the option on Opera to delete the private data an error message appeared every time, also the section for downloads preference, I changed this to a particular folder, however every time I downloaded anything it would always go to the default folder, that is if I ran open rather than save.

Speedfan is freeware and Win 9x/ME is still supported. It is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. ...

what is the latest version of "hmonitor" is stable in the 9x?
You CPUID's HWMonitor? v1.17 was suggested, but I'm betting that v1.19 (latest) will work. It's a "standalone" program (download the ZIP and decompress) - try it.

(note - not going to reboot for the test - just try it...).

When I took the option on Opera to delete the private data an error message appeared every time, also the section for downloads preference, I changed this to a particular folder, however every time I downloaded anything it would always go to the default folder, that is if I ran open rather than save.

This is not an Opera hepdesk thread, if you've got issues with Opera, please open a new thread or post in the Opera thread.

what is the latest version of "hmonitor" is stable in the 9x?
You CPUID's HWMonitor? v1.17 was suggested, but I'm betting that v1.19 (latest) will work. It's a "standalone" program (download the ZIP and decompress) - try it.

(note - not going to reboot for the test - just try it...).

Well, it was suggested because that's the latest version working with 98/ME: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.17-win98.zip. Other versions don't work. :whistle:

Edited by loblo

Speedfan is freeware and Win 9x/ME is still supported. It is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. ...

Are you saying this out of experience? On the basis of your post I downloaded speedfan again and it's business as usual with it, it recognizes no drives in my system. No IDE drive because I use the VIA IDE drivers instead of Microsoft's ones and no SATA/SCSI either as usual.

Lavalys' Everest Ultimate Edition has all that and then some (i.e. GPU cooler speed), however that is a commercial application. I don't know if it's previous freeware version - the well known at the time Aida32 - has these functions or whether it can be found anywhere on the web for download.

Aida32, just like the Free Everest Home Edition (more or less the same software) has only some of these functions, it doesn't show my CPU internal sensor temperature data like HWMonitor does, it doesn't seem to do GPU temp or SMART either. However AIDA32/Everest Free are the best apps I know for quickly checking for possible hardware conflicts on 98/ME (under Devices/Device Resources).

Edited by loblo

That's precisely why I mentioned Ultimate Edition, not the Free edition. It can do: Motherboard temp, CPU temp, GPU temp, GPU memory temp, HDD temp, CPU fan speed, GPU fan speed, CPU core voltage and probably others, depending on the sensors installed in the hardware. It's been years since I last had Aida32 on my system and that's why I said I didn't know (remember) if or which of these functions it had.

Talking about SpeedFan, I suddenly remembered the icon on the desktop and I vaguely recall having had some problems with it in the past; the version I have is 4.35, released sometime around 2008 and it doesn't recognize anything but the videocard and shows nothing at all.

SpeedFan... (barf!) HWMonitor works fine for monitoring purposes. RivaTuner gives no additional benefit unless you want to "tweak" (and potentially destroy your Vid).

Tray for HWMonitor "Free" (?) (after noticing there is a PRO version with Tray built in) here. (have NOT tested, so your own risk...) Pro's latest version unknown on Win9x (which version?) and puts "trial" in some fields until purchased and registered.

Edited by submix8c

This is not an Opera hepdesk thread, if you've got issues with Opera, please open a new thread or post in the Opera thread.

So we are limited to mentioning a particular piece of software are we, it's not that the version of Opera I am talking about isn't supported or anything.

:whistle:

So we are limited to mentioning a particular piece of software are we, it's not that the version of Opera I am talking about isn't supported or anything. :whistle:
Ahem.... "Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE", i.e. that which works, not that which has problems... Once "fixed", then post it here. The only reason the Monitor SW is mentioned is for that which worked/didn't work and +/- of each, not to "help fix why don't work".

Per "Opera", you've posted in two Flash Player topics, here (KernelEx), and other sundry places about Opera.

I think this particular thread is getting cluttered, nonetheless...

PLEASE stop beating topics up... and PLEASE use the "EDIT" button rather than posting, posting, posting... (sheesh!)

HERE is the way you should have gone about this - start a Topic named "Opera, and problems I have with Flash, KernelEx, and Sundry" and stick to it... Now you're "personalized"... ;)

SpeedFan... (barf!) HWMonitor works fine for monitoring purposes. RivaTuner gives no additional benefit unless you want to "tweak" (and potentially destroy your Vid).

Yeah I agree Riva Tuner is a potentially dangerous software but it seems you've missed the harmless, fancy and useful real time monitoring graphs of everything GPU it does... ;)

Edited by loblo