Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Ah, there we go, now it works! :)

Trout is actually pretty cool. Thanks.

As far as what's next....hmm, I don't know. It's kinda sad thinking about it.

But Trout and 1 by 1 are now my favorite, up-to-date mp3 players. Hopefully they'll support Win9x a little while longer.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

I will also mention XMPlay ... been using that player for several years ... crisp, clear sound

http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html

XMPlay v3.6

XMPlay is an audio player, supporting the OGG / MP3 / MP2 / MP1 / WMA / WAV / AIFF / CDA / MO3 / IT / XM / S3M / MTM / MOD / UMX audio formats, and PLS / M3U / ASX / WAX playlists. A load more formats are also supported via plugins. When XMPlay was first released in 1998, only the XM format was supported, hence the name "XMPlay".

Plays the way nature intended

# 32/24-bit & multi-channel output

Take advantage of supporting hardware for ultimate quality

# Gapless output

Gapless playback of all supported formats, crossfading

No installation

UnZIP where you want and go!

Edited by duffy98

UN4SEEN is the home of BASS codec, hence the logical conclusion that XM Player is BASS-based. Trout is also based on the BASS codec so I can't see any difference in sound quality, unless some frequency compensation is used by either one or both. Differences however, may appear in additional features, GUI appearance and other stuff of minor importance.

You are probably right about Trout and XMPlay. Years ago when I was hunting around for a really good mp3 player, I tried many players, listening to the music through headphones. I wasn't satisfied with what I was hearing ... then I came across XMPlay and I thought the sound was fantastic, the best I had ever heard, after I had the equalizer and other settings to my liking. I have never heard of Trout so I will be trying it out. I'm not saying XMPlay is the "best" player out there. In my case, when I came across XMPlay, I quit looking for more players. I'm anxious to work with Trout, maybe I'll decide to go with it, all depends on what I hear in those headphones.

No worries, it's all about personal preferences. Whatever suits you well. I've built myself a barebones audio player completely hotkey-based, without any GUI but a playlist (hidden by default), for any super-minimalistic users out there. It uses the default system MCI library. Can be found following the link in my signature below. Most important thing for us is to have a choice. If we don't, we should make it ourselves.

Just like to mention another small zip program called FreeZip ... Been using it for years.

FreeZip v1.4.9

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/

FreeZip is a small, fast and efficient Zip utility for compression and decompression of files and directories. FreeZip integrates with Windows Explorer and uses file associations and context menus to zip or unzip files and subdirectories. If you know how to use Windows Explorer, then you do not have to learn anything new to use FreeZip. The setup is a single-click process and there are no options or settings involved. The manual is in English, Japanese, Polish, Italian, Swedish, German, Latvian, Spanish, French, Hungarian, Czech, Russian, Lithuanian, Belorussian, Portuguese and Chinese. FreeZip, WinZip, and most other Zip programs use identical compression code, originating from the same source. However, FreeZip is freely available for use and distribution.

FreeZip version 1.4.9 includes updated decompression code and a new format of documentation. If you want to protect your zip files with a password, download the encryption patch, or use dsCrypt for best security. To create a self-extracting zip file, get the SFX patch. Multiple volumes can be easily made with FineSplit. Do not hesitate to try out FreeZip, the uninstaller will leave no trace of it on your system, if you do not like it.

Lockergnome's review:

"Novices: Confused with ZIP files? Do other ZIP proggies offer too many confusing options? Do you just want to download things and get on with your life? If other ZIP proggies leave a strange taste in your mouth, you can use FreeZip for FREE. If you have ever used the Windows Explorer, then there's nothing new to learn with this puppy. Quick, painless and nicely integrated with Explorer."

... I see there is a Note at the bottom of the web page about a "copycat" version with spyware, in case someone might have tried that one and not this FreeZip program.

NOTE: "FreeZip" (without exclamation point) has been available since 1997 and is different from the recently launched NewMedia/Braxio "FreeZip!" and in no way associated with the program. Unlike that product, FreeZip does not involve any of the "Spyware".

... Would also like to add that FreeZip works with Windows 2000 and XP.

Edited by duffy98

For anyone interested in KMPlayer ... I made a discovery over this past weekend using the latest version. The last version listed to work with Windows 98SE is KMPlayer v2.9.3.1428. Have used that version for years but decided to try the latest version of KMPlayer with KernelEx. I (also others) have always had trouble playing flash videos with KMP v2.9.3.1428 but from what I understand this was "fixed" in newer versions of KMP. If you uninstall the older version of KMP, be sure to run a good registry cleaner before installing the newer version, I had between 200 and 350 registry entries on two different computers removed ... also have a firewall operating when you install KMPlayer v3.0.0.1442 (latest). If you have KernelEx installed, just leave it at "default" ... when I installed the new KMP I changed the "default" to "XP Sp2" thinking that would allow the newer version to install without any problems, since Windows 98 is no longer listed to work with the newer KMP. I had a few "errors" pop up during the install but KMP did seem to install and play OK. On the second computer I decided to leave KMP install with no changes to KernelEx, leaving it as "default". The newer KMPlayer v3.0.0.1442 installed with no errors and plays just fine, including flash videos.

Now there is one problem but it can be fixed after installing KMP ... I mentioned earlier to have an active firewall working when you install or make sure you are not connected to the internet. For some reason the KMP developers have added the ASK Toolbar or something, anyway it will "phone home" unless you have a firewall to stop any outgoing connections as KMP is being installed. No choice (yes or no) is offered and only the firewall will stop it ... I have an older version of ZoneAlarm and it did it's job. If you go to the KMPlayer folder ... you will see a red colored ASK folder, simply delete that folder and everything seems to be OK after that. I guess the main thing is that the latest version of KMPlayer will install on Windows 98SE. It a very good player for mostly everything but there is that one annoyance with that ASK program trying to connect, until the folder is deleted.

KMPlayer v3.0.0.1442

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kmplayer/

This is also a very good registry cleaner with some extras tweaks also. It found all those 200 to 350 old KMPlayer entries when I took off the older KMPlayer program.

RegSeeker v1.55

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Edited by duffy98

Nice find duffy98 ! :thumbup

albeit it belongs to the KernelEx Apps thread.

I have tried KMPlayer today, and I'm impressed B)

KMP 3.0.0.1442_R2 ( vs VLC 1.0.3 ) is obviously better : for the image, sound, frame rate, memory usage (25-26 MB vs 40-50 MB), ...

You can open the exe with 7-Zip and don't need any install.

Just delete the $PLUGINSDIR folder, and you will get rid of your Ask Toolbar ;)

although he is still phoning home.

My only problem is that he's freezing (and then crashing) if I try to make it read Wmv files :blink: