Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Is it any better than FlashGet that can work as BT and eD2k client too, besides being a classic HTTP/FTP download manager? I've been using FG for as long as I've known the Internet and had very little issues with it.
Flashget works fine, I had no reason yet to upgrade from old v1.65 of Sept.2004. I just checked their old website www.amazesoft.com it's dead, also www.flashget.com. Maybe it's time to look for their last good version without ads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashget Which version/build of FlashGet would you recommend?

1.73 is the last in the 1.7x series and AFAIK was still available for download on their site, a month or so ago. It's strange that their site is down...

However, I'm currently using the very latest available version, which is 1.9.6.1073. Apart from an issue with falling into a loop when it's set as default download manager and a downloadable link is clicked, everything else is working fine. It does use resources intensively, though.

The search bar and other gimmicks can be turned off and there hasn't been any advertising in in since one of the 1.7x versions, IIRC. If the site won't come up soon, I could upload both 1.73 and 1.9.6.1073 to some temporary host if there's request.

I just checked www.flashget.com a minute ago and it was up. My advice would be for you to try the last version yourself and compare with any older version you know. Classic 1.73 is still available for download too.

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.8 - current - not 3.0 beta+ - free - http://www.mozilla.com/

Hi all, finally joined you other '98 diehards' -what a fantastic resource!

MOZILLA FIREFOX-

Latest version 3 no longer supports Win98

'Firefox Setup 2.0.0.XX.exe' Last version to work with Win98, and I noticed yesterday that there was an update available to 2.0.0.15.

RainyD says: "Here is the link to the Firefox 2.0.0.15: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html "

"For running Firefox 3.0 on Win98/ME check this thread (especially last pages): http://www.msfn.org/board/KernelEx-v034-released-t71476.html "

Also a few posts further on, Multibooter points us to the threads that deal with Firefox and Win98 (I've copied the links here): http://www.msfn.org/board/Firefox-3-on-Win...Me-t115594.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/Future-versions-...-98-t72957.html

Edited by bikerbrom

MOZILLA FIREFOX- 'Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe' Last version to work with Win98 (latest version , V3, no longer supports Windows 98)

Yes, officialy FF 3.0 doesn't work with Win98/ME but if you install KernelEx you can run it. :yes:

'Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe' Last version to work with Win98
Opera just released v9.50, which works with Win95 and higher.

Win98 will die about 2 years after there is no more active development for a Win98 browser.

To demonstrate the slow death of a software package I am posting this message with

Netscape Communicator v4.8 of 2002. Browsing with it feels kind of weird, but the result

(i.e. the posted message) will be probably Ok.

In Feb.2003 I changed from Netscape Communicator v4.8 to Opera v7.02. Until about 3 months ago

my main browser was Opera v7.23 (released about Jan.2004). An old note of mine about Opera, from that time, states:

"a secure non-US browser, an alternative to Internet Explorer & Netscape"

I was never a fan of Firefox. Firefox is a major source of instability under Win98:

after browsing for while with Firefox, Win98 tends to crash.

Using Firefox & then loading Acrobat 5 will quickly crash Win98.

I will continue using Firefox v2.0.0.14 occasionally for printing odd webpages, which usually print more compact in Firefox than in Opera or IE.

MOZILLA FIREFOX- 'Firefox Setup 2.0.0.14.exe' Last version to work with Win98 (latest version , V3, no longer supports Windows 98)

Yes, officialy FF 3.0 doesn't work with Win98/ME but if you install KernelEx you can run it. :yes:

Err...are you sure?

I tried it once, but FireFox 3 couldn't be started.

Although even Photoshop CS2 can be installed through KernelEX, but it just doesn't start!

Edited by winxpi

This in response to Herbalist - post 159

... thanks for mentioning System Safety Monitor v2.0.8.583 . I have never heard of this program but it's a really nice program to have running on a computer ... at least I think so ... I have Win Patrol always on watching for some changes but this goes deeper, keeping an eye on anything that starts up anywhere to give a person a "heads up" that something is going on. ... I did try the newer version 585. ... terrible ... got the BSOD and my computer completely froze up ... the 583 version works just great for Windows 98SE. I guess this will be the "last version" for Win 98SE.

--------------------------------------------------

... from post 159:

I'm using version 2.0.8.583 of System Safety Monitor. Very stable on 98 thru XP. Haven't had the time to test their latest one, 585. The last time I tried 584, it had major problems (BSODs). Don't know if it's been fixed.

With Proxomitron, version 45J is the last and the one most people use. The filter sets that come with it aren't bad. There's several other filter sets available, some still actively maintained. More on them here.

Rick

---------------------------------------------------

thanks, duffy98

Edited by duffy98

to herbalist or anybody ... if they have run into this problem with System Safety Monitor v2.0.8.583 ...

After posting a few days ago about System Safety Monitor v2.0.8.583 I have run into a problem and have taken SSM off my computer. It seemed to work with everything until I tried to open Media Player Classic ... it will not open, there are 3 "error" windows that pop up and then the computer completely freezes up. I uninstalled SSM and Media Player Classic opens and works just fine ... I re-installed SSM tonight and the errors and computer freeze up are there when I try to open Media Player Classic. Would like to know if anyone else has SSM and Media Player Classic installed on their Win 98SE machine and if there is any type of problem.

Edited by duffy98

I don't have an SE test box ready but have confirmed this problem on 98FE. I'm not sure which app is the cause. Been testing/using SSM since 2004 and never ran into anything like this. MPC will run on 98 with SSM when it's profiled through Dependency Walker. I think DW filters out an unhandled exception but haven't really checked into it fully. When I have time, I'll investigate the problem further.

Rick

herbalist ... thanks for replying about SSM and being able to duplicate the Media Player Classic problem. I really like the SSM program but I have used Media Player Classic with the K-lite codec package for several years. I guess I could switch to another player ... you said you have never run into any problems with the SSM 2.0.8.583 version so this one program might be the only hangup ... MPC is such a small good DVD player but I could look for another ... I never heard of Dependency Walker ... I will google that ... maybe that one program (MPC) I could run through DW. I will wait to hear if you find any solutions or ideas about what is going on with SSM and MPC.

duffy