Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

I use Clam Sentinel (at http://clamsentinel.sourceforge.net/ ) and set it to scan only files that are newly written to disk. Then manually set ClamWin off to do a whole disk scan when I know I am going to be away from the machine for a long time.

[The same difficulty with Clam happens on my Linux box. If only there were something similar to adopt!]

4 hours ago, FelixPls1 said:

And how do I do that?

Alas, my Win98 boxes are in storage at the moment, so I am relying on memory, which may be fallible.

I am assuming that you have ClamWin already installed and that it is running full disk scans automatically somehow. So that will need to be cancelled. For cancelling within the program, see the configuration screen here: http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/23/55/ and follow the link to Scheduled Scans. If it is being fired up externally (for example by Windows task scheduler) then see here https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+schedule+clamwin how some folks recommend doing it, and reverse any actions that may have been applied in your case.

For Clam Sentinel go to http://clamsentinel.sourceforge.net/ to download your choice of installer or non-installer as you wish. There are two user guide linked at the bottom of that page.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has updated the main list for over a decade, so here's my importing of softwares:
https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/p/latest-versions-of-software-working-on_20.html

There is a lot more to be added for the sake of preservation. I still need to color-code, fix alphabetical order, and import a lot of software.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

• 2 months later...

does anyone have a windows 98SE machine to test a specific application. it is performancetest v9. i wanted to know if it would install and work with the original kernelex 4.5.2. only version 6.0 build 1013 works officially, but if v9 can work, then you can upload your cpu passmark ( specifically single thread passmark score as well i believe ) to the cpubenchmark site, although, i believe it only will show up / pop up in the archived old version list, but at least it still will show on site. 

i used version 3.5 on windows 2000 earlier, and it listed the passmark of the computer as 210.1, however, it doesn't appear to have a specific cpu passmark, or at least, if someone is more familiar with this program, maybe there is a specific entry that would indicate it, that in other words might have been called something else in the older versions? it also measured at 662.3 megaflops for the machine, which used a regular hard drive at 5400 or 7200 rpm, 768 MB ram, 64 MB integrated intel gpu, and celeron 2.4 Ghz mobile processor with 128 KB of cache.

the reason why i was using version 3.5 of the program is because it works on as old as windows 95 and it's lightweight, at less than 1 MB, where as the v9 version is about 50 MB. 

@cov3rt

v9 requires SSE2, i can't run it.

With v8 i got score 241 in WinXP on my system (AthlonXP 3000+, 3GB DDR, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP  (512 MB))

I don't have a working video driver on my Win98SE, so won't be able to test it there.

You can extract the v8 installer and run the test without installing.

• 3 months later...

During my searches, I've found a .docx word writer for Windows 2000. Is it possible to obtain one for Windows 9x? I prefer an application that can natively open the documents instead of require a manual conversion!

I've also found an epub reader that works on Windows 2000. Too bad Windows 98's life support ended about 8 years before epub.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 1:06 AM, FantasyAcquiesce said:

During my searches, I've found a .docx word writer for Windows 2000. Is it possible to obtain one for Windows 9x? I prefer an application that can natively open the documents instead of require a manual conversion!

I've also found an epub reader that works on Windows 2000. Too bad Windows 98's life support ended about 8 years before epub.

Openoffice 3.2 and NativeWinds Docx2Rtf can open docx files in win98

LibreOffice 3.3 also works but the installer gives some error messages.

Sumatra PDF 2.2.1 can read epub files.

All except Docx2Rtf require kernelex to work.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:23 PM, blackwire said:

Openoffice 3.2 and NativeWinds Docx2Rtf can open docx files in win98

LibreOffice 3.3 also works but the installer gives some error messages.

Sumatra PDF 2.2.1 can read epub files.

All except Docx2Rtf require kernelex to work.

I found one that provides docx on Vanilla Windows 2000: LibreOffice 2000.

The only reason I do not desire to install the extended kernel on one machine is because it's a very dated laptop that can only use up to 1gb of ram; super slow.

• 1 year later...

Maybe its a poor choice necro post. I guess I'll find out.

With all respect to Ringo's Mplayer builds, I usually use a build from Sherpya. I think r34401 (12-7-2011) is the last to work with Win98.

But the builds from redxii advance much later in version, when used with KernelEx (default settings). Seems you can use up to r37203 (5-17-2014).

I haven't been able to use Ringo's builds on all machines. Maybe this will be useful to someone.

• 3 weeks later...
> I haven't been able to use Ringo's builds on all machines.

Interesting -- i have never had a problem with RamonUn's "Ringo" MPlayer builds. In fact, it's my default "Send To" media player -- by far the most up-to-date MPlayer for Win9x, and it runs on native Win9x (doesn't need KernelEx). Actually, i never had a problem with Sherpya's "MPlayer On Windows" builds either, or Redxii's "Mplayer For Windows" builds... that is, until they went 'beyond' KernelEx.

> I usually use a build from Sherpya. I think r34401 (12-7-2011) is the last to work with Win98.

The final KEx build from Sherpya that worked for me on 'plain' KernelEx (no KExt) was r37199 2014-May-11.

> But the builds from redxii ... when used with KernelEx (default settings). Seems you can use up to r37203 (5-17-2014).

Same experience here.

Note that Sherpya has also released a more-recent ("experimental / unsupported") native-Win9x player (doesn't need KernelEx) build r38116 in late 2018. Search the page for "Win98 SE build":

https://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/

And if i might add: My all-time favorite MPlayer is MPlayerWW by William Wang. It seems that development has stopped and its website is gone, but the last version was r37356, 2015-Jan-13. MPlayer code is embedded within a nice, skin-able GUI executable. It requires basic KernelEx. This is my system default media player! You can still get it at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-ww/

- Doug B.