Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

17 hours ago, cc333 said:

I've tried 7-Zip 19.xx, and it seems to generally work OK (GUI, extracting and compressing).  The GUI is a bit weird in that most strings in some dialogs are cut off, but the buttons seem to work. 

This is with KernelEx 4.5.2 and all recent updates on Win98 SE. 

c

This could be caused by certain fonts. My menus are OK. My System font is Tahoma western and I just tried MS Sans Serif western. That is also fine. It's known that MS Sans Serif causes something like you described in Firefox.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:24 PM, cov3rt said:

milkshape 3d 1.8.4 tested working on windows 98SE, as well as meshx 2.4, and terragen classic 0.9.43. 

Nice tools, i though that im only one who still keeps these things, they runs on XP too and i moved with my development package to it XP long ago. I wonder is there some advantage to use them on Win98, some incompatibility etc?

9 hours ago, ruthan said:

Nice tools, i though that im only one who still keeps these things, they runs on XP too and i moved with my development package to it XP long ago. I wonder is there some advantage to use them on Win98, some incompatibility etc?

i would think that if if compiled or developed properly from / for the w9x level, then it would allow forwards compatibility, but not the other way around. but for me, i simply had a nostalgic / unique project idea that involved developing or contributing to a mmorpg that could work on as old as windows 95 / 98, to as new as windows 10, and milkshape 3d 1.8.4 would be able to offer some of that support, although it only works on 98 or newer, where as milkshape 1.6.6a works on windows 95. i would be fine using 1.6.6a, so as long it can do most of the things necessary to complete / or contribute to the unique project. i'm not a programmer in any shape or form or coding, nor would i want to, but if i could be participating in the artistic / feature elements of the project such as creating certain textures / and stuff within milkshape, then that's where my interest would lie. i'm optimistic that the hardware part would be sufficient to handle such a game, as now you have rloew's patches, etc. with a system that has let's say 1.5 GB - 2 GB of ram, pentium 4 cpu at 3 Ghz or so or perhaps core architecture, and 256 MB - 512 MB graphics card, then it would be able to do run the game well and it would look decent. i know i may have my head in the clouds with this idea, and that's fine, but i was really looking at people who'd share the same interests as i do for this, as that's obviously one of the first starting points. 

I use Norton Antivirus 2002 with virus definitions from 2008 date. there's no need to use a newer versions. The system no longer support any updates and no new viruses are created.

> clamwin, which doesn't seem to any good

Out of curiosity, what do you find not "any good" in ClamWin? It's freeware (not sure if open-source), updated regularly (daily, actually), i have been using it for years, and have never had a problem with it. The package is relatively small (as these things go), and it claims protection from 7,658,820 viruses (today's update).

I believe v0.99.1 is the last that works on native Win9x, but if i'm mistaken, someone please let me know.

Not that an anti-virus application is all that crucial to 9x anymore, but i just like to be safe anyway.

- Doug B.

Edited by DougB

5 hours ago, DougB said:

> clamwin, which doesn't seem to any good

Out of curiosity, what do you find not "any good" in ClamWin? It's freeware (not sure if open-source), updated regularly (daily, actually), i have been using it for years, and have never had a problem with it. The package is relatively small (as these things go), and it claims protection from 7,658,820 viruses (today's update).

I believe v0.99.1 is the last that works on native Win9x, but if i'm mistaken, someone please let me know.

Not that an anti-virus application is all that crucial to 9x anymore, but i just like to be safe anyway.

- Doug B.

I've tried to use it, but it takes forever to scan and update the databases, and on top of that, it chews up my CPU. I think I'm not using it right

I've Win ME and don't have any problems with latest ClamWin 0.99.4. KernelEx should be disabled for it, otherwise you have at least ugly buttons. ME and 98 are still supported. "ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / Me / 2000 / 98 and Windows Server 2012, 2008 and 2003."

I don't believe that there are still AV alternatives with daily virus database updates. I liked AVG 7.5. It was was possible to use the manual database updates until August 2018. As far as I know you also can't get any database updates for Avast 4.8. In any case, the programs have discovered attacks very rarely, so the use is questionable. If then mostly false positives. Probably it's better to use only WinPatrol (Registry monitoring) on ME or 98.

This could be still interesting:

Unofficial ClamWin patch for Win98SE

Edited by schwups

I haven't checked that in a long time. The clamtray runs in the background and uses 21MB. I rarely use the scanner and then only for one file. I guess it's some years ago that I scanned a whole partition or HDD. Yes, I'm very surprised that the Database folder has grown in the meantime to 1,4 GB, hence it isn't strange, that Clamscan uses up to 960MB during the test after loading that DB. That is really a lot. I have 3,3GB RAM - CPU Core2DUO E8400, real machine. Clamwin.exe uses 31 MB.

1 hour ago, ruthan said:

So your using Rloews patches for full 3.3 GB of RAM for Win98? Its stable?

Wrong topic - I bought the Patch 2014 and I found a few bugs on Win ME. Rudolph Loew fixed them. Version 7.1 became version 7.2.