Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

On 12/26/2019 at 3:27 AM, ABCDEFG said:

Ability to encrypt the system partition was introduced in v5.0.

Thanks for info. Im not sure, but rLoew(RIP) maybe also had some encrypting software for Windows, but im not sure, bad i have bad memory and of course it would be compatible with modern OSes.

• 1 month later...

Hello,
what is best Windows 98 remoting program (as Win98 as server)? Is there something better for Win98 remote access than TightVNC? I was using Teamviewer6, but they killed it because some security bla, bla.. new version is not more able to connect to these ancient version, maybe you get some older portable one.. if it can run alongside of installed version.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:40 AM, ruthan said:

... Windows 98 ... Teamviewer6 ...

I settled on Teamviewer 8 as the last version able to run on Win98SE. Alas I cannot confirm it still works on Win98 as that box is packed away at present pending a house move, but version 8 has recently run on my Linux box to take control of a remote Win7 box, so they don't seem to be blocking that version. It can be found here: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Download-TeamViewer-8-and-9/ta-p/78348

As this version is now the oldest on their web site, I would be inclined to get a copy now, just in case ... !

If you really want version 6, there is a Windows copy here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/teamviewer-6-0

google yamaha soft synth 100xg vogon

you will find a 256 key polyphonic software synthesizer thats the last link to that edition on earth that works.

Its the only version of yamaha soft synth that allows midi playthrough at realtime and not with a deliberate delay

like the other versions to keep selling their synthesizers and extensively flogged tonebanks lol and vetusware has it too. unlike xg50 this sounds better

that it has quality difference that makes it unique. Vogons have instructions on how to add the hi resolution tone bank as well.

The key difference between that and any other brand is ability to switch instruments whilst playing back a midi file in its sequencer without spoiling

playback makes it more fun. anvil studio bleh.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
spelling

9 hours ago, ZaPbUzZ said:

google yamaha soft synth 100xg vogon

you will find a 256 key polyphonic software synthesizer thats the last link to that edition on earth that works.

Its the only version of yamaha soft synth that allows midi playthrough at realtime and not with a deliberate delay

like the other versions to keep selling their synthesizers lol and vetusware has it too. unlike xg50 this sounds better

that it has quality difference that makes it unique.

The key difference between that and any other brand is ability to switch instruments whilst playing back a midi file in its sewuencer without spoiling

playback makes it more fun. anvil studio bleh.

Do you have links to that software?

In the past I've written basic MIDI software that captures keystrokes.  It supports polyphonic live playback, instrument switching, recording to a MIDI file, and even a sustain pedal.  It uses the system MIDI synthesizer for playback.  If there is sufficient interest, I could open a project topic for it.

13 hours ago, ragnargd said:

Yeah. I found that. Thank you. I see the "Fair use exception". Does that mean the software is officially legal to use for free? I did not find hints for that on google. But i may be blind...

I'm not sure but I actually have the printed license anyway. Also, it hasn't been supported for decades and has been reported by vetusware as abandoned so i wouldn't feel guilty.

Vetusware i found has their version. If decided to use be sure to use the installers location(c::\yamaha) it is a wise installmaster 8 setup captured version with data integrity encryption so resistant to infection.

Completely free of virus trojans and backdoors according to Avira, symantec and AVG anti virus and a hex editor peek.

Missing install strings somewhere. 

Apart from that it is much faster to install than the official installer and no need to input license key manually.

tested and working on 98 98se and millennium; a great sequencer for yamaha XG soundcards also (hardware accelerated canvas) can be found bundled with them too.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
spelling grammer added info

On 11/28/2019 at 10:03 PM, Dibya said:

i have a wrapper toolkit which can make windows 95 osr 2 to run following applications. I don't know if anyone is interested in 95 . I bit in dilemma shall I make it free or make it available for $22 per licence to support myself. I am trying to get  kmeleon goanna to work

SMPlayer
7Zip
Sumatra PDF
Notepad++
WinSCP
HxD Hex Editor
Pico Torrent
Xnview

theres always donation request like paypal?

A thread for app suggestions or site address?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There has been several in the past that were free but now may not be available like Image Folio 4.30 and Artweaver 0.5. There is PhotoFiltre 7.2.1 which is available Free. Can find at AfterDawn.com - Image Editing or at other sites.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Typo/spelling

• 2 months later...

Hi, did someone try to compile some recent 7zip for Win9x?

I tested that official ver 18.06 is working with KernelEx but only the commandline tool 7z.exe but not the GUI. GUI version 16.04 can run with KEX but only some parts are working, eg. extract files from archive but cannot create new archive.

Edited by xrayer

I've tried 7-Zip 19.xx, and it seems to generally work OK (GUI, extracting and compressing).  The GUI is a bit weird in that most strings in some dialogs are cut off, but the buttons seem to work. 

This is with KernelEx 4.5.2 and all recent updates on Win98 SE. 

c