Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

Thanks, but i got some gameway timeout - 504 response, but with filename i was able to find it here:

https://kbench.com/software/?q=node/20

Im also searching for some reliable Win98 storage benchmark, i have problem to find something, i used Atto benchmark, but its reports bad results - i dunno because of cache or used controllers or HDD, but it reports up to 1 GB/s on Sata II.. or just because it is bugged, or i have old version.. what is not sense.

So i need something else, i dont need something too complex, on modern windows im ok with Crystal Disk Mark, i just need speed for sequential and random reads / writes - big and small blocks.

Edited by ruthan

On 2/23/2019 at 4:57 PM, ruthan said:

Thanks, but i got some gameway timeout - 504 response, but with filename i was able to find it here:

https://kbench.com/software/?q=node/20

Im also searching for some reliable Win98 storage benchmark, i have problem to find something, i used Atto benchmark, but its reports bad results - i dunno because of cache or used controllers or HDD, but it reports up to 1 GB/s on Sata II.. or just because it is bugged, or i have old version.. what is not sense.

So i need something else, i dont need something too complex, on modern windows im ok with Crystal Disk Mark, i just need speed for sequential and random reads / writes - big and small blocks.

i'm not sure if this would be what you would like but i like to use Roadkil's Disk Speed 2.0 on 9x-2K, etc, because it's lightweight and i think it measures 4K random read queue depth 1 speeds which is a major reason i use it and if you also use windows 95, it works on windows 95 as the only easy software that can do such a thing ( since crystal disk mark does not work windows 95 ). i personally do not like atto because it can only go as low as queue depth 2 i think and i don't like the user interface. there was a time i used a older version of AS SSD on 98SE, but it took forever to do any results so i stopped using it, i do not remember if i tested AS SSD on 95, that is if any version works or not. 

i have uploaded roadkil's disk speed 2.0 below, also a picture of my benchmark results from a samsung 850 evo 250 GB using 8 GB system ram and i7 4700mq, though roadkil's 4k read speed seem to be a bit too high at around 50 MB/s vs 40 MB/s of as ssd, i couldnt upload my as ssd results, i put a question mark on the 4k read section in the pic as i don't know for sure what it's exactly measuring there   - 

Roadkil's Disk Speed 2.0 for 9x.zip

Capture1.PNG

Edited by cov3rt

I tested Roadkill is working fine for HDD speed testing.

Does someone knew which version of AIDA64 or working fine with Win98 even with Nvidia drivers? I will not reinstall drivers just for temperature monitoring or HW info.

Last thing is there some FPS monitor alternative to Fraps for Win98? Or perhaps something with OSD HW temperature info like Afterburner for modern OS?
Regarding of temperature monitoring what SW could be used for most even chipsets (i have Z170+Geforce6)? 

I can't really think of any other software that is reasonably up to date in terms of modern hardware detection that works on Windows 98 SE, other than AIDA64 and HWINFO32.

You should really give AIDA64 a try, either it will work fine, or you will have a BSOD.

I had AIDA64 working fine with 82.69 drivers, but then it suddenly stopped working and I do not know why is that. That was with the same program version, so that wasn't the problem!

I've been discussing this issue with the authors of AIDA64, as you can see here:

https://forums.aida64.com/topic/4017-windows-98se-blue-screen-of-death-with-the-kerneldw9x-llkd/

They can't seem to reproduce the issue I'm experiencing, so it's all a matter of being lucky :)

AIDA64 has some HW monitoring overlays, but I do not know if they work with Windows 98 SE. There's no FPS monitor, I can't think of anything else than Fraps 1.9d.

I haven't used HWINFO32 much but I know it works, but the functionality is limited there, unlike AIDA64.

I already tried AIDA64, im getting BSOD.
Update: HWinfo 6 working for me, even for Z170 sensors, only cpu fan speed is detected as chassic fan speed, but maybe this error would be on modern OSes too..

Edited by ruthan

I missing one more utility something for screenshots:
- ideally something what would be mapped on Printscreen key
- will create *.png on filesystem
- dont cause some application / game incompatibility

I thin that is probably too much want about these:
- 3D support - Direct3D / OpenGL / Glide
- Same application name / or name *.exe in filename
- same date and time in filename

• 3 weeks later...

Aktualizace Windows Update na WIndows 98, je možné ještě nějakým způsobem zprovoznit aby to i v roce 2019 fungovalo a vyhledalo aktualizace které byly vydány? Třeba Windows 2000 to jde, tam to funguje. Děkuji Radovan

Windows Update at WIndows 98, is there any way to get it up and running in 2019 to look for updates that have been released? For example, Windows 2000 goes, it works. Thank you Radovan

Edited by Radovan

Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Service Pack 3.x:

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/

Discussion list:

https://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=1047&t=65

Current version is 3.64. It's a real whopper of a download though....

- Doug B.

Edited by DougB
re-formatting

• 3 months later...