Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Glad to hear my lack of History is probably just something wrong with my installation--I've updated post #823.

My installation is an upgrade from 10.61 and 10.60 (and maybe over 10.0x). My global_history.dat is 0KB, but get touched each time I exit. :wacko:

I'll try a clean reinstall of 10.63 when I get the chance.  :whistle:

Whoever wrote the Wikipedia article must consider the whole 10.6x branch to be unstable....

Hello jumper,

versions 10.61 up to 10.63 are the most stable on my ME systems and the history has always worked. Versions 10.5x didn't start, so they were unusable for me. 

Edited by schwups

As a web developer, I've been testing with Opera going all the way back to version 3 and have never considered ANY version of Opera to be stable. I've always wanted to like it, but found too many usability problems with each and every version I tested with. :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone got help for me, I am trying to install Yahoo Messenger onto my Windows 98 system so that I can talk via headphones with a microphone, however I tried old versions and none are able to sign me in, is it because the older versions are retired by Yahoo?

I hae the same problem with skype: The same version which I installed 3 years ago and still worked 2 years ago now crashes as soon as I try to answer a call.

I don't expect old Y!Messenger version to work any better...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SpywareBlaster 5.0 (just released) no longer works in Win98SE. The previous version 4.6 is apparently the last version that does.

Enabling Win2000 SP4 compatibility mode in KernelEx allows the installer to run but the program fails with the following error:

Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version

File "KERNEL32.dll", function "GlobalMemoryStatusEx"

Edited by Prozactive

SpywareBlaster 5.0 (just released) no longer works in Win98SE. The previous version 4.6 is apparently the last version that does.

Enabling Win2000 SP4 compatibility mode in KernelEx allows the installer to run but the program fails with the following error:

Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version

File "KERNEL32.dll", function "GlobalMemoryStatusEx"

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but if you ran the installer under W2K compatibility mode, why not run the program that way too? The "GlobalMemoryStatusEx" function is available in KernelEx.

Joe.

Spyware Blaster is a lost cause. I've just tested it, it's not GlobalMemoryStatusEx, it's SetFilePointerEx (at least in the version I downloaded and installed an hour ago). And no, patching the exe to call SetFilePointer instead, won't help - there's a huge error message box. There are too many changes between versions, too many Unicode API called, too many Unicode filenames required by those API. I say it's over with this one. But go ahead if you wanna play - I've already wiped this off my must-have list.

Can you still get the database updates with the previous version?

Alternatively, you could use this workaround: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=342848

No, it indicates that the program has been updated and that you must download and install the new version.

Thanks for the info and link! I suspected it would work but that's a good confirmation.

EDIT: @jds and Drugwash. Sorry I missed your posts before I replied. I thought KernelEx Win2000 mode was enabled when it autoloaded after installation but you're right, it may not have been. I'll give it another shot later (although it probably won't work per Drugwash).

Edited by Prozactive