Want Regional & Language Settings

I've searched through the forum here and most people are trying to skip this as part of an unattended setup. I want my setup almost fully attended, but because I'm using DetachedProgram to run something at T39, it skips the Regional & Language screen and goes straight to the User Information one.

Here's my winnt.sif:

[Data]
MSDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%IOEM) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

The closest I could find to what I was trying to do was here but it didn't work. I think the UnattendedInstall=Yes is necessary for the DetachedProgram section to work, so is there any way to over-ride it's skipping of the Regional settings?

I've searched through the forum here and most people are trying to skip this as part of an unattended setup. I want my setup almost fully attended, but because I'm using DetachedProgram to run something at T39, it skips the Regional & Language screen and goes straight to the User Information one.

Here's my winnt.sif:

[Data]
MSDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%IOEM) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide oemscan.cmd)))"

The closest I could find to what I was trying to do was here but it didn't work. I think the UnattendedInstall=Yes is necessary for the DetachedProgram section to work, so is there any way to over-ride it's skipping of the Regional settings?

[unattended]

UnattendMode = DefaultHide maybe?

UnattendMode = DefaultHide | FullUnattended | GuiAttended | ProvideDefault | ReadOnly 
Values DefaultHide
Specifies that answers in the answer file are defaults. Unlike UnattendMode = ProvideDefault, Setup does not display the user interface to end users if you specify in the answer file all the answers relating to a particular Setup page. If you specify only subsets of the answers on a page, the page appears with the provided answers. The end user can modify any of the answers on the displayed page.

Use UnattendMode = DefaultHide in deployment scenarios where an administrator might want only end users to provide the administrator password on the computer. This behavior is the default if you do not specify unattended mode.

FullUnattended
Specifies a fully unattended GUI-mode Setup. If you do not specify a required Setup answer in the answer file, Setup generates an error.

During an attended Setup, improperly signed hardware drivers generate a warning dialog box. If UnattendMode = FullUnattended, then Setup does not install hardware drivers unless they are properly signed.

Use UnattendMode = FullUnattended in deployment scenarios where you require a complete unattended installation.

GuiAttended
Specifies an attended GUI-mode section of Setup. When specified, the end user must answer all questions in the GUI-mode portion of Setup before Setup finishes.

Use UnattendMode = GuiAttended in preinstallation scenarios when you want to automate only text-mode Setup.

ProvideDefault
Specifies default answers in the answer file. In this case, Setup displays these default answers to the end user, who can change them if they are not appropriate.

Use UnattendMode = ProvideDefault in preinstallation scenarios where the OEM or administrator wants to give the person setting up the computer the option to change the predefined default answers (especially network options).

ReadOnly
Specifies read-only answers in the answer file if the Windows Setup pages containing these answers appear to the end user. Like UnattendMode = ProvideDefault, no user interface appears if the answer file contains all the answers on a page. Unlike UnattendMode = DefaultHide, however, the end user can specify only new answers on a displayed page.

Use UnattendMode = ReadOnly in scenarios where an administrator wants to force specific answers on one page but not others.

Default Value DefaultHide
Example UnattendMode = FullUnattended

Comments The default value is DefaultHide when you do not specify the entry. When you specify this entry, it fully automates text-mode Setup with or without the necessary answers.

Edited by FreeStyler

Thanks FreeStyler. I drew a blank with DefaultHide, but did get it to show with ProvideDefault. The problem with having to use an [unattended] section is that I lose the repair functionality as it jumps straight to the partitioning step in textmode setup. I'd rather keep that and lose regional setup if I had to choose. I guess there's no way to keep both.

Edited by Protocol7

You can try modifying intl.inf which is what setup runs. I dont know if it works but you can try it:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;

; HOW TO USE THIS FILE

;

; To install or remove a language group collection:

;

; Invoke LANGUAGE_COLLECTION.BASIC.INSTALL to install all the major

; European language groups and locales.

; Invoke LANGUAGE_COLLECTION.COMPLEX.INSTAL to install all the right-to-left

; and contextual writing system language groups and locales.

; Invoke LANGUAGE_COLLECTION.EXTENDED.INSTALL to install the East Asian

; language groups and locales.

;

; Remove the right-to-left and contextual writing system language groups

; and locales by invoking LANGUAGE_COLLECTION.COMPLEX.REMOVE.

; Remove the East Asian language group and locales by invoking

; LANGUAGE_COLLECTION.COMPLEX.REMOVE.

;;

; The LG_INSTALL_# sections have been kept for backwards compatibility.

;

; To change system default locale,

;

; 1) Invoke the section whose name is the LCID of the locale to change to.

; 2) Look in the [Locales] section to determine the matching OEM code page.

; 3) Invoke the section whose name is [Font.CP<oemcp>.Files.<fontsize>

; where <fontsize> is 96 for small fonts or 120 for large ones.

;

; Your code must also perform any non-registry manipulations that may be

; necessary, such as SetLocaleInfo() calls, etc. They are not done here.

;

; To just change to large or small fonts, do step 3 only.

;

; NOTE: You must install the language group before setting a system default

; locale. Only the locales in installed language groups will show up as options

; for setting the system default locale.

;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

See setuplog.txt after setup to see what params unattend setup passes to intl.inf. Just search the log file on intl.inf

-gosh

Thanks for the help guys. I had a brainwave and it's worked :)

The trick was to add the [unattended] section with ProvideDefault after textmode setup was complete. That way it was left untouched. I was already injecting a product key into the $winnt$.inf file at T-39 via oemscan, so I injected the [unattended] entry using the presetup.cmd file that the driverpacks mass storage setup had added. This runs after the first reboot before gui setup begins. At T-39 I think it's too late because when I tried adding it to the oemscan cmd file it didn't work.

This is what I added to presetup.cmd:

@ECHO OFF 
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\OEM\NirCmd.exe inisetval %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF "Unattended" "UnattendMode" "~qProvideDefault~q"
%CDROM%\OEM\NirCmd.exe inisetval %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF "Unattended" "OemSkipEula" "~qYes~q"