Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5 on Win98se

For those who were excited by the new v1.5 of Spybot - Search & Destroy but only to be disappointed by less than sterling performance...

get the new beta version from here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18788

- the very long start time is no more

- other slowness problems seem to have disappeared.

Thanks to SubMix8c who put me onto this.

EDIT: for those who want to include this on their UBCD, here is the new silent installer:

- it installs the new beta release of v1.5 (as above)

- it installs the latest updates as of Oct 10.

- NOTE: this is a SILENT installer. Once it starts, that's it, let it run.

- also note: it sets Tea Timer active which is a system settings change notifier. If you don't want this active, you can turn it off in the settings.

link: http://soporific.dsleague.com/downloads/SpyBotSnD_1.51.exe

Edited by soporific

I am try new version 1.5 and detect problem: big requierement on system resource... Over version Spybot 1.4 requierement new 1.5 more how 15% :realmad:

Total requierement hereof program Spybot 1.5: 74%... > crashing Windows. Why?

For those who were excited by the new v1.5 of Spybot - Search & Destroy but only to be disappointed by less than sterling performance... get the new beta version

- the very long start time is no more

- other slowness problems seem to have disappeared.

EDIT: for those who want to include this on their UBCD, here is the new silent installer:

- it installs the new beta release of v1.5 (as above)

- it installs the latest updates as of Oct 10.

- NOTE: this is a SILENT installer. Once it starts, that's it, let it run.

- also note: it sets Tea Timer active which is a system settings change notifier. If you don't want this active, you can turn it off in the settings.

link: http://soporific.dsleague.com/downloads/SpyBotSnD_1.51.exe

Thanks for the new silent installer. I grabbed it just before burning my first UBCD!

It causes near 100% usage of System process, due to the huge hosts file, if you use the immunize function.

I noticed this problem in win2k, and went back to spybot 1.4 :(

NO! Hosts file very small (998 bajt) and disabled function Immunize. Try: Run Spybot and run Update...

This problem with original Spybot 1.5 and with "soporific" version.

Problem Nr. 2: Teatimer: extemporary random request > 100% system resources. Back to 1.4

Philco :hello:

I've tried Spybot with various different RAM sizes and least amount of system resources i could get was 17% with 64 MB of RAM. The average i got overall was about 40% free. So on my test system (with hardly any programs installed), it works fine.

How much RAM have you got installed, and what figure do you normally get for system free resources when Spybot isn't running?

Philco :hello:

I've tried Spybot with various different RAM sizes and least amount of system resources i could get was 17% with 64 MB of RAM. The average i got overall was about 40% free. So on my test system (with hardly any programs installed), it works fine.

How much RAM have you got installed, and what figure do you normally get for system free resources when Spybot isn't running?

RAM: 3x 256MB

Start without Spybot (and without Teatimer): 85% free system resources.

Start windows with Teatimer: 83% free system resources

Start with Teatimer and running Spybot: free 35% system resources

Start only Update Spybot (with running Teatimer and without Spybot): free 17% system resources

Start Spybot and active Update: crash (0% free system resources).

(Monitor system resources with WinTop or SysPro, Process Explorer/SysInternal)