Read this before jumping to 64bit Vista

Polarman

So... You want to upgrade to 64bit Vista. You really think that everything is going to be better?

After reading this article, you may want to re-evaluate your decision.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709

Another good read here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/10/16/64..._just_the_ram/1

Edited by Polarman

I'm not sure I see anything here that isn't common sense or new, honestly. Those who choose 64bit do so because their hardware, software, and drivers are supported, and those that have components that don't work, find out quickly :).

Try to run a 32-bit system with 4GB of ram... what a nightmare.

I did try it out. Apart from not seeing the whole 4GB (was 3.12GB for me). I did not encounter any nightmares.

I personnaly think Microsoft should have enforced Vista in the 64-Bits flavor (and maybe one limited 32-bit edition) so software maker would embrace more quickly...

Microsoft = Dictators ?

I say, let the consumer decide his/her choice. Developpers included.

P.S: J'ai pas vu de gros avantage avec le 64 vu que toute mon stock (app/jeux) est 32. Le WOW64 layer limite toute les trucs 32 a 2GB anyway. Enteka... J'pense de revert au 32.

Vista 32bit = Pointless , If your going vista then 64bit is the only way to go

Eventually! We may see even more in the future 128bit, 256bit like when i retire or something.

But not today.

I should make a poll asking how much 64 bit software people are using right now. I know i'm not.

All my software that i purchased online and at the store are all 32bit and i spent more on those than games. Can you tell me where i can purchase 64 bit Adobe Photoshop please?

I have not seen a single game out that are true 64 bit.

Like i say, the 64 bit thing is still at an early stage. Maybe in 10 years, 32bit will probably be obselete.

But not today.

No , it doesnt take 10 yrs 2 become 32 obsolete, bcoz with vista recomended mem is 2gb.as memory goes cheaper ppl buy more,and eventually with M$ nxt OS anouncement (almost withing 3 yrs wich is only made 64bit)

4gb barrier will cross

Microsoft = Dictators ?

ya its a fact Only bcoz of the non-avaliability of common games in any other OSes (*nix)

in *nix platform u get apps lot more better than simlar apps avalible in windows

All my software that i purchased online and at the store are all 32bit and i spent more on those than games. Can you tell me where i can purchase 64 bit Adobe Photoshop please?

It's a self-fulfilling cycle - everyone should run 32bit because the software is all 32bit, so when does everything go 64bit? If everyone runs a 32bit OS, why should a vendor bother writing a 64bit package?

64bit will eventually come upon us, but it'll be forced somewhat, I'm sure.

Try to run a 32-bit system with 4GB of ram... what a nightmare.

I personnaly think Microsoft should have enforced Vista in the 64-Bits flavor (and maybe one limited 32-bit edition) so software maker would embrace more quickly...

I have no problems running Vista on my 32bit CPU and 2GB of ram is plenty.

Eventually! We may see even more in the future 128bit, 256bit like when i retire or something.

But not today.

I should make a poll asking how much 64 bit software people are using right now. I know i'm not.

I have not seen a single game out that are true 64 bit.

Like i say, the 64 bit thing is still at an early stage. Maybe in 10 years, 32bit will probably be obselete.

But not today.

Until Vendors see a market for 64-bit software no one will be willing to drop teh money it will take to create a 64-bit version of software (especially when most 32 bit version can run on 64bit windows now) till there is a general demand for 64-bit software you won't see vendors making it, 64-bit adoption will be exceeding slow as most people won't ever know the difference between 32-bt and 64.