How to make a dll file

steev

I have lots of icons and I'd like to make a .dll file for them, similar to the moricons.dll file found in XP.

I can make an .icl file but I'd prefer to do a .dll file. Perhaps I need special software.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Steve

I have lots of icons and I'd like to make a .dll file for them, similar to the moricons.dll file found in XP.

I can make an .icl file but I'd prefer to do a .dll file. Perhaps I need special software.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Steve

For what I know, it can be done by a compiler, like for making programs. I'm not sure if there's any utility programs out there that will do it, though.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Steve

I don't know of any free programs but you can create dll files with GConvert

A DLL is essentially a library of compiled functions that allow the creator to add more functionality to windows, their progra or another resource. Usually to create a DLL you are required to create a file of such functions in a language like C, C++, Delphi or some other compiled language (Java is not compiled, and as far as im aware cannot be used to create a DLL).

Once this DLL is created you then have to add the functionality to the resource by telling it to call the DLL. This means if you wanted to get windows to use your DLL you would have to add code to tell it to use your DLL. The only way of creating a DLL that does not require moddifying the OS/resource is to replace an existing DLL (e.g. copying all the functionality of he old DLL into your new one, adding your functionality etc then naming your DLL the same name as the old DLL).

If you just require to change the icons used then use a program like resource hacker or resource tuner to replace the icons in the dll.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I believe in sharing all the information I can :)

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all your replies, it's apprciated.

Yes, it looks like I'll do the recource Hacker thing and replace all icons as required (I'll make a backup copy first!!!!).

Benners: thanks for the tip about GConvert, I'll have a look.

Thanks everyone!!

Regards,

Steve