Editing the text string of first setup screen or all the setup screen

ajy0903

Does anyone know how to do this?

I am talking about modifying the XP CD: Like I put XP CD, it runs and shows up the some screens and want change the strings in the CD.

What I want to do is/are:

1. Delete the text string, "Learn more about the setup process," and its related page(s) and text string(s).

2. Delete the text string, "Check systemPut the text string, and its related page(s) and text string(s).

3. Put the text string, "Install Windows XP" text string that goes second page that has various strings

versions of XPs.

4. Put the text string, "Perform addtional tasks", under "Install Windows XP" text string

and its related page(s) and text string(s).

5. Put the text string, "Boot from UBCD for Windows", under "Perform addtional tasks" text string.

6. Put the text string, "Boot from Hard Drive", under "Boot from UBCD for Windows" text string.

7. Put the text string, "Reboot", under "Boot from Hard Drive" text string.

And in case nobody understands what I'm saying, I attach the screenshot what I mean.

post-143174-1192304978_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajy0903

That menu more than likely was made with bcdw. Look for a bcdw folder or a bcdw.ini file. If not bcdw then cdshell+bcdw or Easyboot would be my next guess. Open your ISO in UltraISO and see if any folders are hidden if you can't find the config file.

Doing a web search for the bootloader or reading the help file will explain proper syntax and provide many examples.

(Actually, if you first tried doing a simple search for 'boot menu' or 'UBCD boot menu" :sneaky: you probably would have been done with this already)

That menu more than likely was made with bcdw. Look for a bcdw folder or a bcdw.ini file. If not bcdw then cdshell+bcdw or Easyboot would be my next guess. Open your ISO in UltraISO and see if any folders are hidden if you can't find the config file.

Doing a web search for the bootloader or reading the help file will explain proper syntax and provide many examples.

(Actually, if you first tried doing a simple search for 'boot menu' or 'UBCD boot menu" :sneaky: you probably would have been done with this already)

Thanks for reply.

But the screenshot that I uploaded is "Original XP CD", that i changed the string of screenshot of "Original XP CD's" picture that i wanted to change to, not others.

I thought I put it that i wanted to modify one like in the screenshot that i uploaded?

So, it can't be made using BCDW, Easyboot or CDShell, which i know both of them.

Also, cdshell is for dos ones, not for GUI ones.

Edited by ajy0903

Use ResHacker to edit SETUP.EXE

You can find Resource Hacker by simple googliing....

Thanks for reply.

But I already know about it, hahaha.

And I just didnt get how to edit it, using Resource Hacker.

I been trying to edit SETUP.EXE for a month.

The problem was order of the strings that in there.

I can't simply change the order of strings that I wanted to edit, so that it shows the way I wanted.

The screenshot that I uploaded is how I want to edit SETUP.EXE using Resource Hacker, which I have been trying to get exactly samething that shows in the screenshot that I uploaded, which i took screenshot of Original XP CD and edited using photo editing program to show people what I wanted to do, using Resource Hacker, editing the strings in Original XP CD's SETUP.EXE.

Edited by ajy0903

Okay.... this is going to be harsh and I would like to think every post I have ever made on MSFN has been a positive contribution. Now lets get the facts straight and see where it takes us.

1st. What type of menu are you trying to make? A boot menu or a windows autorun menu?

Thanks for reply.

But the screenshot that I uploaded is "Original XP CD", that i changed the string of screenshot of "Original XP CD's" picture that i wanted to change to, not others.

I thought I put it that i wanted to modify one like in the screenshot that i uploaded?

There is nothing original at all about that menu. MS has never made a boot menu even remotely like it. It is a custom boot menu made just to mimic XP's autorun menu. Now I assume you want to add/change some pics & text while maybe moving a few choices to different menu pages. This leads me to...

So, it can't be made using BCDW, Easyboot or CDShell, which i know both of them.

Also, cdshell is for dos ones, not for GUI ones

If this is an autorun menu. You are right none of them will work. However, you don't want to delete options like "Boot from UBCD for Windows" or "Boot from Hard Drive" either. In an autorun menu these options are completely ludicrous.

If however, you aim really is to create a nice XP setup-ish GUI boot menu, then I'm just going to be blunt....

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It helps to actually just sit down and read the dreaded help files and maybe try one of their example projects. You can make a multi page XP-setup style GUI boot menu with what I said in my 1st post: bcdw, cdshell+bcdw or Easyboot.

If your goal was a autorun menu you would have pulled up pages and pages of results and usable projects and was to edit the original MS exe if you used the SEARCH feature and actually read some of the threads.

No matter what kind of menu you are trying to create, you basically just want to edit a few text strings and change a pic or two. Doing just that is incredibly fast and easy. Stop wasting your time scouring the net hoping a solution will appear and instead familiarize yourself with the files in your project and the syntax they use.

Again, please keep in mind I'm no stranger to my own advise and I'm actually trying to help you out.

I'm more than willing to help (as most are on MSFN) if you are willing to start over, take a little time to explain again what type of menu you are editing, what it will be used for, and what changes you wish to make.

****It seems the solution worked itself out while I wrote this post. Go figure. :wacko:

Edited by LiquidSage

Okay.... this is going to be harsh and I would like to think every post I have ever made on MSFN has been a positive contribution Now lets get the facts straight and see where it takes us.

1st. What type of menu are you trying to make? A boot menu or a windows autorun menu?

Thanks for reply.

There is nothing original at all about that menu. MS has never made a boot menu even remotely like it. It is a custom boot menu made just to mimic XP's autorun menu. Now I assume you want to add/change some pics & text while maybe moving a few choices to different menu pages. This leads me to...

Also, cdshell is for dos ones, not for GUI ones

If this is an autorun menu. You are right none of them will work. However, you don't want to delete options like "Boot from UBCD for Windows" or "Boot from Hard Drive" either. In an autorun menu these options are completely ludicrous.

If however, you aim really is to create a nice XP setup-ish GUI boot menu, then I'm just going to be blunt....

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It helps to actually just sit down and read the dreaded help files and maybe try one of their example projects. I can make a multi page XP-setup style GUI boot menu with what I said in my 1st post: bcdw, cdshell+bcdw or Easyboot.

If your goal was a autorun menu you would have pulled up pages and pages of results and usable projects if you used the SEARCH feature and actually read some of the threads.

No matter what kind of menu you are trying to create, you basically just want to edit a few text strings and change a pic or two. Doing just that is incredibly fast and easy. Stop wasting your time scouring the net hoping a solution will appear and instead familiarize yourself with the files in your project and the syntax they use.

Again, please keep in mind I'm no stranger to my own advise and I'm actually trying to help you out.

I'm more than willing to help (as most are on MSFN) if you are willing to start over, take a little time to explain again what type of menu you are editing, what it will be used for, and what changes you wish to make.

Thanks.

I know what you mean.

But I'm sure I know exactlywhat I'm talking about.

I just wanted to modify the Original XP CD, using Resource Hacker, so that i will show what i wanted, just like screenshot that I made.

And the screenshot that I uploaded, its just edited screenshot using photo editing program to show people what i wanted to do, using ORIGINAL XP CD.

I just took screenshot of it and changed the text in there, using photo editing program to show what I wanted to do or what I tried to do before.

Simple misunderstanding. Glad you didn't take it to personally.

Also, if you plan to edit more exe's in the future you might want to try PE-explorer or Restorator 2007. They are not free, but I find them to be more convenient and quicker to work with.

Simple misunderstanding. Glad you didn't take it to personally.

Also, if you plan to edit more exe's in the future you might want to try PE-explorer or Restorator 2007. They are not free, but I find them to be more convenient and quicker to work with.

Hahaha.

Why would I take it personally?

There are no reasons to take it personally.

And I was also thinking or had feeling that you were misunderstanding me.

I heard of PE-explorer or Restorator 2007 before.

Only thing is that, I just wanted to use free ones to edit it.

So, will you give me help to edit it, usin Resource Hacker?

When I tried to edit it, using Resource Hacker, it simply doesn't change to the way I wanted it to change.