Help needed to fix TCP/IP

mannyo

One computer at work is causing me grief, getting straight to the point.

The computer concerned had a trojan installed because the AV software had got out of date, so I updated everything and did a full system scan. After that was finished and the computer rebooted it has lost its network connection. Before the reboot, everything worked including the internet etc. After the reboot the lan connection has a little yellow ! on it, and its running in limited connectivity mode. No matter what I try, I cant get the lan to come back up again, so it looks like the trojan had somehow patched into the IP stack. Now the trojan is gone, IP is broke. I have tried reloading XP SP2, but it made no difference, neither did ipconfig release and renew.

On monday I am going to try a repair installation of XP, but until then maybe some other ideas will remove the need to do that.

Reinstalling won't touch the winsock. One way you can fix that is to get a good winsock registry from another computer and import onto yours.

-gosh

that is basically what the utility provided by the link does after performing the suggest ip reset commands it cleans out and restores the stack to default. I have only used that particular version once but it works the same as half a dozen other winsock repair utilities available. And without having to have another working machine on hand.

and it obviously fixed his issue:

Thanks for that link, the IP stack repair tool did the job and all working again.