Removing Internet Explorer by preventing it from installing

waywyrd

Hi,

First of all thanks to Fred Vorck. I don't know whether he visits these forums or not but thanks to him and others who contributed to this project at: Remove Internet explorer at install . I am now happily running Win2000 with no IE installed.

Has anybody else tried or currently using this way of installing Win2000?

Inevitably I'm going to have to scrap "Windows" altogether and "get my head around Linux". I say have to because while I'm not a computer "geek" I still like to some sort of choice as to how I run my pc, without this "one size fits all approach" that Microsoft seem to be forcing on the end consumer.

Oh by the way I still run Win98SE, which has been "98Lited" with a few other modifications and the stability is incredible. Plus I rarely if ever have problems with viruses or other malware.

Though I'm not a "geek", I've never been 100% happy with a web browser so heavily tied into an o/s as Windows.

Regards,

Waywyrd

You can remove IE very easily by following methods documented by me and programs on this website. However, why would you? A lot of apps assume ie is installed, if it isn't some apps might not run. Windows without IE is like a car without seats.

-gosh

• 2 months later...

:unsure:What happened to vorck.com ?:unsure:

Has anybody else tried or currently using this way of installing Win2000 ?
:hello:

Yes I installed NT 5.0 following Fred Vorck's instructions. Using BartInstallCD I can make NT 5-bootable installation CD.

After installing NT 5, removed references in registry to shdocwv.dll, wininet.dll, urlmon.dll, browseui.dll, then eliminated these libraries from system32. Use bbLite as shell, winfile as File Man.

IE-less NT 5 is my winOS since March, it is my replacement/upgrade to IE-less 98se

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...533;entry632243

(Vorck is the best :thumbup, the others just tried)

Plus I rarely if ever have problems with viruses or other malware.

Because IE is the virus; urlmon, wininet the malware