Battlefield 2

UKSimon

Hi there,

I'm having trouble getting Battlefield 2 to run under a vLited Vista. The game will run but doesn't progress past a blank screen. If I Alt-Tab out I see a dialog box titled Error, but cannot display the message.

From looking over the forum I see Application Compatibility might be something worth keeping, but the game launches fine with this disabled in a full Vista. The videos it plays at the start use bink so I doubt it's codec related.

Could Application Compatibility still be doing something without the service running? I have heard things about it clashing with out components.

Thanks for any suggestions for what to keep in.

P.S, I remove everything except Class Scheduler. I integrate drivers for everything except network. I'm wondering if the BF2 frontend (where you receive news bulletins) is reliant on IE...

I don't have that game to try but it would be for the best to keep HTML engine in the future.

And until some more time passes and they got used to Vista you could keep the Application Compatibility.

It's different when removed, without the dlls OCX and some other old stuff doesn't work.

I don't need it, many don't but some games might.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm more starting to think its just Application Compatibility but I'll never know till I try it heh.

Any chance if you know a new version will be ready in less than a week? Saves me doing it again so soon.

Thanks.

Battlefield 2 works perfectly on a super-barebones service configuration (By that, I mean the original Vista DVD but tweaked to the core after installation, not a vLite image), and I have about 5-8 running services and 24-32 running processes on that config.

vLiting a service out for a standard "home" configuration is just asking for trouble. If you really don't want the service, just disable it via the registry or services.msc, don't remove it.

Edited by meh11

Turns out it was the Application Experience component causing the crashing. Doesn't actually need the service running though.

So its just that and Class Scheduler to keep, hope that helps someone else.

Cheers for the help.