Winamp 5.5 Drops Win9x

galahs

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=278159

Notes:

-Alas, Winamp 5.5 is no longer compatible with Win9x (Win 98/ME),

-and all support for those OS'es has now been discontinued.

-Win2k/XP/2003/Vista are all supported.

Another one bytes the dust!

Thankfully 5.35 is pretty **** good, so I'm not really worried. Looks like 5.5 is becoming "bloatware" anyway.

Why do all nice small programs like Winamp tend to become huge bloatware full of thirdparty programs? Winamp toolbar, Winamp remote, eMusic account...

Anyway, you're right, we don't need the new version... Personally, I'll stick with 2.77 : small is beautiful.

What Media Players still in active development still currently support Win9x?

Windows Media Player, QuickTime and Winamp have all dropped support. So what's left?

Edited by galahs

I'm guessing that they also squeezed out NT 4.0 compatibility when I wasn't looking? <_<

I'm not sure what active media-player development remains for Windows 9x, but at least with a program like Winamp the functionality and format-compatibility have been stable for some time. I happen to have version 5.07 installed myself, and it still works like a charm.

Winamp toolbar, Winamp remote

Ironically those were long available as even Winamp 2.x plugins if I'm correct. ^,~

Personally, I've been using 2.92 for a very long time and it has yet to fail me in any way nor fail with any format's I've thrown at it. It's a pity though for the fans of the 5.x series that they're dropping it all of a sudden. Wasn't compatibility one of their focuses in the past? If they were dropping compatibility for the sake of code-size (I'm guessing here) through dropping the compatibility libraries, they should have provided the needed compatibility files as a separate download instead.

For those still seeking older (functional) versions of winamp could benefit from taking a look at http://oldversion.com :)

Edited by Chozo4

What Media Players still in active development still currently support Win9x?
I think Media player classic still support 98.

last version from march 06. :}

+Winamp install file has now passed the 8MB :w00t:

I have just tested media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 and VLC 0.8.6c with some video files and I have to say Microsoft's Media Player 9 seams to handle the files better, faster and with less glitches.

As for Audio, Winamp seams to be able to handle mp3 and wma whilst taking up a minimum of resources.

"Win9x" includes Windows 95 as well as 98 and ME. This is the way things seem to break down:

Winamp--

Last 95-compatible version: Somewhere after 5.07 (I tried a more recent version once, and couldn't get it to work right)

Last 98/ME-compatible version: 5.35

RealPlayer--

Last 95-compatible version: 8 (The last usable version too, IMO; at least after unchecking options and cleaning up the interface.)

Last 98/ME-compatible version: 10.5

Windows Media Player--

Last 95-compatible version: 7.0 (although 6.4 is the last version I'd consider usable.)

Last 98/ME-compatible version: 9.x?

QuickTime--

Last 95-compatible version: 5

Last 98/ME-compatible version: 6

Media Player Classic--

Last 95-compatible version: ? (It claims to be compatible with Windows 95, but it prompts a kernel32.dll error on my system.)

Of course, the "media players" that exist don't exactly afford a direct comparison: Different pieces of software do different things. I personally use Winamp to play WAV and MP3 audio files; Media Player, RealPlayer, and QuickTime for their own respective proprietary formats, and the ordinary CD Player accessory for audio CDs. Works for me... :whistle:

Edited by Andrew T.