DirectX Help!

Abrupting

Hello People,

Sorry if I’m posting something that already was talked on the board, but I have an urgent need to solve this problem and I couldn’t find an answer.

I did a format to my Windows 98 (Second Edition) on Sunday, doing all the Windows Updates through MS page, but I cannot download the DirectX through the page, cause if always fails. I tried to download the DirectX through another places, but it always appears the message: Setup Could Not Download The File. Please Retry Later Or Check Network Connection. How can I solve this thing? I tried an unofficial version of the DirectX that can be found in this forum, but it gives an error and not updates at all.

I’m not a gifted person in technology and I don’t know how to code stuff. Any help, tutorial, etc? Will this be a permanent situation by the MS? How can we deal with it? Cause it sucks dudes : \

Regards,

My Computer:

Win98 Second Edition

Portuguese Language

Fujitsu Siemens AMD Duron 700

64 MB RAM

10 GB

The other one that I used, blew me the system off. I couldn't see any website, not even on safe mode, cause it crashed the pc : \ I'm doing a format again. I can check that one tomorrow, Kurt. But I bet it won't do anything, cause all the direct X from MS are failing; it says that install, but they aren't.

Hi there, eidenk (thanks for replying)

I was a little bit desperate, and tried this one: Unofficial DX 9.0c August 2007 Redist Full + MDX for Windows 98 SE/ME [38.6 MB].

I have tried it in a virtual machine and it did install. I had a Windows protection error on first reboot which forced me to reboot a second time but after that everything was apparently OK according to DXDIAG.

Well, I did a format to my computer today, and started a fresh install of windows 98. The problems are basically the same: directx 9 don't install. It doesn’t matter if I use the automatic version through Windows Update, or a direct x file download directly to my desktop, they just don’t work.

Through windows update, it starts the download, but then it finishes abruptingly, saying that the file was ‘successful installed’, but it do not show the message to reboot the computer, and it didn’t download anything, cause if I check the direct x on my pc, I don’t have the version number 9 installed.

If run the file, downloaded to my desktop, directly on my computer, the install stops and appears the message I told yesterday: Setup Could Not Download The File. Please Retry Later Or Check Network Connection.

This is quite weird, isn’t it? For example, I did a format in last July, and run the Windows Update, and all was installed normally, including the direct x – I had no problems back then. But now, after three months, the direct x is failing its installation. Is it from my computer, or is something more general and MS is trying to let win98 down?

I can try the version you recommend, Glock, but I already know that it won’t work. Should I extract those files to where in my computer?

I can try the version you recommend, Glock, but I already know that it won’t work. Should I extract those files to where in my computer?
Anywhere will do. Create a temporary folder on your desktop for exemple and extract everything there.

But just to be sure, how big are the other DX files you downloaded? I'm asking since it's weird they ask to download stuff...

If nothing installs on your freshly reinstall Windows, you might have a hardware problem. First thing that comes in mind is your RAM.

Please dude, try to download Direct x from this link.. In my opinion you never downloaded full package, because fully package would never ask you to download some file. Link that I provided here, will download you full package of DirectX 9.0c. If you still get the same message, can you please post the screen shot of it.

Cheers ;)

Greetings to all,

Well, I tried the version that Glock advise, and it seems that is ok. At least, it really installed the directx, thing that all the other versions I tried, didn’t. Maybe the other versions were corrupted or incomplete, I still don’t know, but it was weird. I don’t understand is why a couple of months I could do the installation through Windows Update, and now I can’t. Little weird, I think, but hey... we’re talking about Microsoft - its says it all, lol.

I guess the problem is solved. Thank you all very much for the tips and the fast answers. If some new problem appear, I’ll drop the issues one more time. I just registered on the board to solve my problem, but I read it a long time a go.

Thank you all for the tips, one more time.

Regards,

I had the same problem as Abrupting after a reinstall of Windows. When I checked out the links provided by Kurt Aust and glock 94, I found that Win9x was excluded from system requirements. Rather than take a chance that they might work by downloading 59.2 megabytes and giving it a shot, I tried the link from mara, quite a bit smaller at 33 megs. Download and installation went flawlessly and afterward, dwebsetup.exe finally did work (apparently, it will only work if you have a recent version of DirectX already installed). It gave me a 1-megabyte update for what I had just installed (DX9.0c). It was a very good solution for me.

Edited by KRH