Software for scanning HDD for hardware problems?

ok my brothers computer with xp pro sp2 keeps getting system files corrupted every few weeks so i use norton bootable dvd hdd doctor to repair it.but how can i diagnose the main problem for this? its an LG LAPTOP.

Speedfan has a rather nice SMART reporting thingy.

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their free diagnostic utility. You may have to write it to a floppy or CD and boot from it.

Also download the memtest86 boot CD and leave it running overnight to see if your memory is faulty.

Norton's home programs (bar Ghost, maybe others?) are generally very poorly regarded and may do more harm than good.

Download a trial of Kaspersky anti-virus to scan for any dodgy stuff. They also have an on-line scanner, which I haven't tried myself.

Edited by SmaugyGrrr

ok i got the memtest latest version ISO file and burned it inot a cd and boot up with it.i tried few times but everytime in the middle of scan it says no error found while the process bar is still working and after some minutes computer shut down.now i dont think that memtest shutd down the computer cause its idle or something.so this shut down means something? or its the memtest configuration for after process completion(while i havnt seen the results yet?)?

This looks like overheating. Do all fans spin? Touch the CPU cooler (hold your case when doing this) and feel if it’s hot, if it feels too cold check the thermal paste in-between the cooler and CPU. This is what I would check first.

ok i got the memtest latest version ISO file and burned it inot a cd and boot up with it.i tried few times but everytime in the middle of scan it says no error found while the process bar is still working and after some minutes computer shut down.now i dont think that memtest shutd down the computer cause its idle or something.so this shut down means something? or its the memtest configuration for after process completion(while i havnt seen the results yet?)?

A shutdown. That's usually because of the processor overheating.

Modern motherboards have a feature that cuts the power out if the processor core temperature is past a certain point. (Usually at least around 170 F)

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

ok i trieed Norton systemwork once more and got windows boot up.installed HDTUNE and scanned for errors.none found.then installed EVEREST and monitores the temps but nothing suspecious though in normal activity not overloading.

and memtest keeps shutting down.so any ideas?

This looks like overheating. Do all fans spin? Touch the CPU cooler (hold your case when doing this) and feel if it’s hot, if it feels too cold check the thermal paste in-between the cooler and CPU. This is what I would check first.

Ups, I forgot it was a laptop. But still, clean out the air-exhaust of the laptop and like others stated rise the laptop so colder air can flow underneath it...

also take in mind..that 'ram' can get overheated....alot of newer ram come with heat spreaders....and its odd that your laptop shuts down while memtest is running its test...so my guess is your have a some ram issues...and extensive ram use is causing over-heating.