Install from Hard Drive Files / Quick Format

I have a bunch of questions that I hope some people can help answer:

1. I have a copy of Windows XP saved on my D hard drive at:

D:\Install\WindowXP\i386

I would like to create an unattended installation that will directly access the files on the hard drive instead of loading them from the CD. What commands would I need to add to the WINNT.SIF file in order to accomplish this?

2. I would like to do a Quick Format of the C drive during the installation. What commands would I have to add to accomplish this?

3. I already have the WINNT.SIF file configured to move the Documents and Settings to the D: drive. Is there an automated way to move the My Documents to the D: Drive as well?

4. Can somebody direct me to a location where I could learn how to turn off certain services during the installation of Windows? This would just make things much easier than going back and disabling the services manually later on.

Thanks,

Charlie

You could write a batch file which will start the installation by supplying parameters to your WINNT.EXE file which lets you specify the source of the installation files, unattended file, et cetera. You could import REG-files via SVCPACK.INI to disable certain services. This should get you more than started. See the Unattended Guide on this web site for some more hints and tips.

Hi, this is the method I always try and use. It works fine. This way I check whether my unattended cd works fine before burning a cd.

First create a folder in the root directory of your D: like xp3.

My file structure is D:\xp3\i386, D:\xp3\$OEM$, D:\xp3\*.* (other files like setup.exe etc.,).

I just nlite this xp3 with all updates & hotfixes using nlite and for few updates/hotfixes (for KB928365, KB928366 updates for Dot Net) i use autoscript entries.

You need not to make any changes to any files for winnt.sif just change the entries for selecting the partition to format and file system.

(Note don't remove the Operating system options from the remove components section for this purpose).

Now, once you've nlitened, just run the setup.exe, select new installation. Here, though our xp3 is unattended it will ask for serial no, name, regional setting, network settings. (Important click advanced options and select let me choose the partition where I want to install os) It will copy files and restart after restarting it goes through the usual procedure it will ask for which partition to format. You try if any doubts reply me I'll again help you.

Reagards,

Dvij