start menu "permanent" shortcut tweak

Hi there.

To make this XP installation perfect I still need a few things in the start menu.

1. remove the email icon above the line at the near-top left in the start menu (the "permanent" part), as I don't use mail very often, and if so only web based.

2. Possibly add a couple of other progs there, like utorrent.

How to achieve these things through registry tweaking? I've tried searching both on web (including the great registry tweak collecton thread) and in the registry, but can't seem to quite nail it. A solution would be appreciated. :whistle:

You could customize the user the way you want and use the ntuser.dat file for the default user, however, when you first log in to windows it automatically sets up that area of the start menu, so any tweaks i believe would be removed. Microsoft did this so OEM's couldn't overwrite microsoft's settings. You could try my idea by customizing the default user profile, but dont be surprised if the settings are reset on logon.

-gosh

Ah. This sheds new light over the issue. I had actually given it up because it didn't seem worth the time used. I found the tweak under (from here, but didn't follow that lead further. However, someone else might find it interesting.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]
;Remove Show on Start Menu Internet/Email
“Favorites”=hex:ff

Anyway, I tried the suggestion in that other thread and it seems to work perfectly. Just make a template and export the registry keys while making sure that the shortcuts stays the same in the new installation.

Thank you for the pointers. B)