nLite 1.4 RC2 - Rain Ultra

nuhi

korri, I ran into the same error. Try nuhi's suggestion to me in post 65. 1.4.RC2 works for me, except with dotnet 2.0 full instead of lite. Also, in case you're on x64, make sure you install dotnet 2.0 full x64 so that you don't repeat my mistake! :whistle:

Yeah, seemed to work with full dotnet installation just fine.

Nuhi, please add a note to the dotnet lite downloads about this.

After using the remove components portion of nlite, services and applications i haven't asked nlite to remove are gone, things like the 'Com+ event system' service and calc.exe are the ones causing me the most problems. There could be more.

I've tried this twice now with RC2, and i've had the same issue with 1.3 and 1.4RC1 in the past

Is this a known issue, is there anything i could be doing wrong?

Edited by SmokingRope

Made an experiment:

1. Restored system from image backup (no nLite or associated programs).

2. Installed nLite-1.4.beta.exe + nlruntimer3.exe. Works fine.

3. Installed RC2 on top of this. Got an error:

neterrorzz0.th.jpg

I just tried this Framework Lite issue and it is true but the solution is quite simple, just install or reinstall the runtime after the 1.4RC2 because they both have some runtime files which overwrite each other. Gonna write that into the readme or simply update the runtime, checking.

Nebol, if you for example remove DTC and keep Com+ it will hang. Either disable SFC or follow warnings in the component descriptions. But first attach your preset for me to try if it's not something else.

SmokingRope, attach the preset please.

Downloaded .NET Framework version 2.0 (x86) redistributable package (23MB), installed. nLite works.

I tried so far:

- install first nlruntimer3.exe than RC2;

- install first RC2 then nlruntimer3.exe;

- instoll first nlruntimer3.exe than RC2 and at last installed nlruntimer3.exe the second time (reinstalled);

- instoll first nlruntimer3.exe than beta than RC2;

-- instoll first nlruntimer3.exe than beta than RC2 and at last installed nlruntimer3.exe the second time (reinstalled);

So RC2 + nlruntimer3.exe doesn't work in any variant and the problem should be in nLite (nLite-1.4.beta.exe + nlruntimer3.exe = works or RC2 + FULL .NET Framework v2.0 = works).

Edited by Oleg_II

I tried it on fresh XP Lite, installed Runtimes, then nLite RC2, it failed as you said, then I just reinstalled the runtimes and it worked.

What OS is yours, is it English?

XP SP2 English.

I tried installing runtimes, installing RC2 and then installing runtimes again and had an error that a couple of members had on previous pages (I wrote about it).

Will try again :)

After using the remove components portion of nlite, services and applications i haven't asked nlite to remove are gone, things like the 'Com+ event system' service and calc.exe are the ones causing me the most problems. There could be more.

I've tried this twice now with RC2, and i've had the same issue with 1.3 and 1.4RC1 in the past

I have spent hours shamelessly reinstalling on a virtual machine and have 'isolated' this problem.

When using the remove components (wizard?), i could reproduce this issue when selecting arbitrary components in the 'network' subtree. In the following two test cases , there was no single option (aside from the network subtree itself) which was the culprit.

I ran these test cases with a directory containing windows xp SP2 and all the critical hotfixes for it integrated by nLite. (up to this month)

I have reproduced the problem with 2 test cases, once i exclusively selected to remove 'MSN Explorer'.

In a second attempt i selected a variety of features while excluding MSN explorer.

• comtrol test terminal program
  • frontpage extensions
  • iis
  • netmeeting
  • peer-to-peer
  • windows messenger

You can see the effects by running 'services.msc' and looking for the standard services 'COM+ Event System' and 'COM+ System Application'.

You can also try opening the run dialog and typing calc or calc.exe.

Could this issue be resolved for the next release please?

Edit: there are a couple more things i have noticed that might be useful

if i include calc.exe in the 'don't remove' setting, it will be there after installation

when the installer completes and windows loads for the first time, the virtual machine always initializes to a 640x480 resolution instead of (my winnt.sif default) 1024x768

Edited by SmokingRope

SmokingRope, you will need to attach the preset for me to try, this is the last time I say it.

About the resolution, http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q23

This is not related to drivers. It is a direct result of using the 'networking' section of nLite's remove components wizard, as was that topic of my previous post. I was attempting to address additional 'symptoms' that might help in finding and fixing the bug that was the topic of my previous two posts.

Preset Is In Progress ( i didn't save them after i figured it out )

Edited by SmokingRope

@Nuhi

Thanks for the RC2 ! :thumbup

Works as perfect as the one before.

But there are still 3 minor probs :

Checked "show hidden devices" in tweaks.

They don´t show up on default if the hardwaremanager is opened.

Slipped the VIA chipsetdrivers as usual (tested with VIA 4in1 443 and VIA Hyperion 513a).

The HDDs are set to PIO only, instead of auto/ UDMA.

Worked with the older versions.

Why is there the possibility to name the ISO, if winlite.iso pops up by default, as soon as I´m asked, where to save it ?

I know and understand why you removed the netDDE possibility, but personally never had the freezing problem and still can´t produce it.

So it seems, I have to remove it now manually.

@SmokingRope and Outbreaker

Had a similar strange Problem with the latest recommanded Nvidia graphicsdriver.

Even tho it´s explicitly for my card (GF3Ti200) the installer says :

No suitable driver for this hardware found... :blink:

Can´t even install the driver on a clean install !

Switched back to the old 77.72 and it´s working like a charm.

Agi