how do i change setup options in programs?

hi i am new. i am sorry if its a stupid question but i tried now icq 5.1 with wpi. the ussf added /s so the install is silent and its good. but it installed the icq toolbar and made icq the regular search engine... so how can i change the install options for icq and for other programs? is there an easy way such as the ussf which just added the /s ?

thanks

Edited by dimiboy

Add teh following commands to your WPI config:

Command2 = regsvr32 /u /s "%programfiles%\\ICQTOO~1\\toolbaru.dll" 
Regafter = %wpipath%\homepage.reg

Reg File (homepage.reg)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="http://www.msfn.org/"

Still working on changing the search defaults back I will return...

thanks!

but icq is just one of many programs... isnt there a way maybe somehow that will find all the install options availiable? i saw something from autoit that makes someting like a catch of the install process and records all the changes i do while i install but i could not understand how it works.... maybe there is a guide for this thing or something like it? cause i dont want to post the same question about every program i want to install and then make you or someone else search for me.

i am not an expert with registry but i think there must be someway to make such things easier for me and others

Yeah installwrite and installwatch is what you are thinking of.

I have barely used them though.

There are few apps that cannot be installed without extra measures.

Please don't give up as it gets a lot easier. Plus USSF is not perfect it can only tell you the basic switches for the most common apps and installer types.

Their is however a whole section in this forum based on application installs remember tosearch there as you can find uncommon switches and pre-made auto-it files in there.

I got used to and taught myself how to track and build custom installers by hand. Using innosetup, winrar or simple inf files to run them.

I do have a friend that uses installwatch all of the time and swears by it though so I do know it is pretty good.

sCiTe for auto-it is the program that tracks your mose movments and keypresses to make a install script it is fairly easy to use but just as frustrating to use becase you get one little thing wrong and blamo it don't work right.

Personally I am just more of a do it yourself type you learn more that way.....