Multiple users at the same time on one PC?

puntoMX

Hello my friends,

I’m searching for Multiseat software for XP that emulates computers for multiple users.

These users just use the computer to browse the web (incl. MyTube), work in office applications, use Skype and MSN.

My hardware setup:

• 1 Computer with enough power
  • 1 VGA card with dual VGA/DVI, PCI-E
  • 1 Laser printer
  • 2 USB keyboards
  • 2 USB Mice
  • 2 Headphones
  • 2 Microphones
  • 2 Screens
  • 2 USB storage devices were users can store there private work.

Normally I’m able to find information my self but got lost in Google some how.

Can any one help me out please?

Thank you in advance.

--- EDIT ---

I found something on Wiki called Multiseat computing, that’s for Linux but this is what I’m looking for on XP.

I’m not a programmer nor can I setup a Linux Kernel my self so any help would be welcome.

Have you considered running a form of terminal services? There are loads of companies offering it, none free however.

An interesting one is XP Unlimited http://www.xpunlimited.com/

It enables an xp machine to become a terminal server. You could then just get a junk machine P133 or higher and connect using remote desktop, the users won't really know any difference.

At 112€ for 5 concurrent connections its quite cool.

There is also winconnect server xp that does the same thing at $300 for 3 licences http://www.thinsoftinc.com/purchase_overview.aspx

The official way is windows server 2003 at £300 and then get the Terminal Services CAL's £lots.

I think this is more useful than multiseating as you can have up to 5 people off one decent machine.

Hope this helps

Thank you two for your help,

I don’t care if it freeware or not, if it works it works but indeed for a reasonable price. I can build computers for about 150 US$ + a license for XP, so that will be some 240 US$ for each system. I want to use these systems in public places, in groups of 15 up to 23, and people sadly don’t like other OSes then Windows here in Mexico else Linux would be used.

I checked the 2 links you gave me and it could be an option if I had some old hardware lying around, but unfortunately I don’t have that.

It would be nice if I could emulate 2 users at the same time; each with there own screen, keyboard, mouse, USB port and if posible sound, but I could use USB headsets for that. Let´s see if more posts come in :).

well after reading the posts I am not sure if this what you want but it's the first thing I thought of when I read the title:

http://www.kood.org/terminal-server-patch/

Terminal Server Patch

The beta 2055 release of XP PRO SP2 let you run two or more sessions (one local console and one or more remote desktop) concurrently. But this functionality was removed in the Final release. This patch will enable two or more concurrent sessions in Windows XP PRO Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later if you have FAST USER SWITCHING enabled, and your windows is NOT in a domain.

DL, that´s 99US$ for each user

:blink:

Doh!, I was happy to have found the link, popped the page open, saw $99, thought pht! and didn't look further. Going back and seeing the real costs makes me think pht! again.

I would only by it the legal way, it’s not for home use, it’s for my business.

99 US$ comes close to a complete PC. The cost of a PC will be 150US$ for a simple Celeron 4x0 based system at this moment.

Hi Human2.0, welcome to the board. Thank you for the link but this program is a virtualizer so it’s the other way around: I want one computer with 2 screens for each user and not 2 users on one screen ;).

VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware.

one screen has the host operating system and the other has the guest. Two users can simultaneously work on both systems with the use of usb filters. This allows only the guest to intercept the second keyboard and mouse. The printer could be networked giving the guest system access through the host. As for the headphones and microphone, if they are usb, this would work the same as the keyboard and mouse.

Okay,

This I misunderstood from the information I found on that page. As far as I could see it’s like VMware / MS Virtual Machine and those are open windows that can be closed by a user but then, I could be wrong as there is no information on the VirtualBox website (except there forum). Let me read there forum, let’s see if I can find some answers there.

Thank you for pointing me again ;).

--- EDIT ---

Browsed there forum and could not find what I was looking for.

I think I forgot to say why I wanted this kind of setup. These systems will be used in schools, internet cafés and other public places so the host could be hidden but the clients need to be fool and bulled proof. People always try to kill the system just for fun and I would like to avoid that.

Main target is a cheap setup, as described in post 1, with low energy cost and maintenance.

two virtual machines started full screen from host with script with one on each monitor. Host button disabled preventing user from exiting full screen. Ctrl Alt Del disabled on host machine and shutdown buttons disabled on guest systems. guest systems share one immutable hard disk preventing users from modifying system files.