Linux RIS copying MANY more files than CD

eger

I'm not sure if anyone here is using Linux to do RIS (I'm using a python binlsrv, pxelinux, and tftp to do windows RIS from Linux). But I'm trying to figure out some things when comparing the install to a regular CD install.

When I install Windows 2003 from RIS it seems to copy a LOT more files during the Copying files in text mode part than the CD install (so many that it takes about 10 minutes just to pass that stage and get to the normal yellow progress bar for copying the regular files).

Is there a reason for this or a way to prevent it? I can't figure out why an RIS install would copy so many more files than the CD especially when i'm using the exact same CD image for the RIS install (with only a modified winnt.sif for the correct sources on tftp and samba).

I will actually be finishing up a tutorial for RIS on Linux soon. But there are tutorials out there that I followed to get this running for me. Having never used the Windows 2003 RIS server I'm not quite sure how the Linux version compares...

Any ideas? Anyone else doing RIS on Linux have any tips for me? I'd love to know..

Thanks!

I have done both linux + windows RIS before. I personally like Windows RIS(WDS or BDD2007). Comparing Linux & Windows RIS, Windows RIS can do more because I can deploy Windows XP, Vista, Linux OS(Ubuntu, Centos, FC), and Mac OS X. However, using Linux OS, I only can do XP and some linux distros.

In addition, I slipstream all the softwares into the image.

Also, There is no GPO system in linux. I need GPO to config the clients.

Currently, I am using BDD 2007 to deploy XP to new computer. This deployment tool is so kool. You can add the drivers, softwares to the images manually. You should try it before you move to the advanced linux PXE

I have done both linux + windows RIS before. I personally like Windows RIS(WDS or BDD2007). Comparing Linux & Windows RIS, Windows RIS can do more because I can deploy Windows XP, Vista, Linux OS(Ubuntu, Centos, FC), and Mac OS X. However, using Linux OS, I only can do XP and some linux distros.

In addition, I slipstream all the softwares into the image.

Also, There is no GPO system in linux. I need GPO to config the clients.

Currently, I am using BDD 2007 to deploy XP to new computer. This deployment tool is so kool. You can add the drivers, softwares to the images manually. You should try it before you move to the advanced linux PXE

Thanks.. But this doesn't really help with my questions... I am doing automation which is much easier to use pxelinux and pxelinux configs and it tailored around open source Linux software. I'm just trying to get the files that windows copies during text setup similar to the CD.