Installing Vista on Virtual PC

agoodfella

How can I get Vista installed on my Virtual PC if Vista came pre-installed on my laptop (OEM) and its embedded within the recovery disc.

i.e. i don't have a stand-alone Vista program / disc to insert.

any advice / suggestions / help?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Use imagex to grab an image of your physical vista installation. You may want to run sysprep beforehand but probably not necessary. then, apply that wim image to the virtual HDD. fix the bootloader so vista is loaded. also, it may not load unless because of GUID reliance. you'll have to make that installation GUID-independent.

Use imagex to grab an image of your physical vista installation. You may want to run sysprep beforehand but probably not necessary. then, apply that wim image to the virtual HDD. fix the bootloader so vista is loaded. also, it may not load unless because of GUID reliance. you'll have to make that installation GUID-independent.

thanks for all of the replies. you lost me at imagex.

i am a tech-id*** and there is no way i'd be able to successfully navigate through any of that without crashing the internets.

thanks for the replies though.

i do need help though re: my screensaver problem (please see my thread on that in the main Vista section).