[Info] Future of XPize

XPero

Heya,

Don't take my comments the wrong way, but I really hate the overall tone of this thread. Really. Really.

It seems like the trashy, inevitably-uninstalled-from-most-users-computers operating system (Vista) is getting all the attention here. Unfortunately, it seems that Vista is going to be the central focus now, much like Nuhi with vLite as well (nLite hasn't gotten an update in way too long).

XP is still the better operating system, bar none. But if the developers of the tools that keep XP alive abandon the project, leaving users to hack together solutions in the meantime, everyone will soon be forced to drudge with Vista. That's not cool. Soon we'll be seeing ad-pages in place of xpize.net and nliteos.com if this keeps going in the direction it's going... it's bad enough that manufacturers seem to be putting XP on the back burner.

For everyone's sake, xpero, you've done an excellent job so far. I have no complaints with .NET as the XPize installer complained about not having it anyway. I have complaints about the project being abandoned in favor of Vistrash. Could you please, please, please concentrate on XPize again? :)

edit: To clarify, I don't mean take time away from work or anything like that. I mean to drop Vize off your recent files list. Put that crappy OS on the back burner. Maybe even install XP and XPize again and see what you've been missing in performance and usability with Vistrash. I'm willing to bet a million bucks your work would become much easier with XP anyway... maybe you'd even find yourself with more free time! :)

Edited by Volatus

In my opinion Vista is the best OS Ms has released so far, as well as XP was when it was released (well, when SP2 was released). Anyway, I intend to work on XPize only for now since Vize seems to be stable. As you already know, I'm currently busy with work, busy studying to get more MS certifications and, I can't lie on this, XPize is not very interesting for me right now, but I will make a effort for you guys that are waiting for it.

well i got 2 out of 3 msca certs now - and been away for quite a while now,

and to be honnest i must so disagree with you.... (honnestly - the mor i know and understand about windows) teh less im getting to like it...

face it you cant stand by and not knowing windows - but my favorite os no longer has anything to dow with four colored blocks but rather with some sort of south-pool-ish anymall

any way... sad to see that the x64 version never made it ....

i just hope that anyone who understand your xis scripts will pick it up some day...

verry kind greetz ..... from an ex windows user.

I dont think vista will ever fully catch on. Its amazing on the number of clients I get that want to downgrade from vista. Its a simple fact, you loose performance with Vista.

I just wanted to say how awesome XPize is. Good luck with your certs XPero. I know that it can be a challenge as Im currently working on some of mine.

Edited by scottydawg

I have to fully disagree with the very concept that Vista can be the "best" anything MS has produced. If anything, it's MS's longest (and most bloated) suicide note. It's had a lot of under the hood improvements, but they are absolutely BUNK with all the bullcrap M$ bloated on top of it, with the whole "managed code" approach with hardlinks and junctions (reparse points, etc) up the wazoo. Believe me, having jumped on top of every new version of Windows like it was the hottest thing ever (I had no complaints with WinME either), Vista has got to be the worst thing ever.

Just the other day, I used my Pocket PC as a wireless router to download and place the "Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans, and Adware" wallpaper on a Vista computer at a local Circuit City. The "Great Wall of Vista" was absolutely nauseating... I couldn't see XP anywhere in sight. >.<

At any rate... the least that could be done here is to _finally_ put up a final version of XPize. Or at the very least, just consider the latest version a "final" version. The only things that need to be changed to make it a universal recommendation for me is some default settings - like checking "XPIze settings in control panel" and "XPize reloader on startup"... plus, I'm not too fond of the "custom icons" set (good icons, just hate not being able to see what program is associated with them), the cursors, or the boot screen. I always make those adjustments.

But the core of the problem: Vista. Ditch Vista. Vista is going to die. If I chewed it up and spat it back out, imagine how many hundreds of thousands of other people, that previously liked new Windows versions, are also thinking the same thing. Where'd you miss the "f^ck this s***!" boat? What could possibly be good in Vista so much as to call it MS's "best"?! I'm really dying to know :P

Edited by Volatus

@Volatus: I fully agree with you. For me Vista is such a crappy and bloated OS and also too expensive IMHO (if you compare the new things in Vista with the prices for the editions). I'm sure Vista will be the "Windows ME" of the NT series ... And because I'm still using XP Pro (and will do this as long it will be practible) I wish XPero will release a last and bug-free final release of XPize. Then he can burry it in this minds ;) ...

Thanks for all your hard work XPero. I'd love to see XPize continue to get updated. There are a few bug fixes/changes to be made to XPize.NET 0.1 ALPHA especially with SP3?

Edited by Jam3s