[Info] Future of XPize

XPero

Hi my dear XPize users,

As you all know, I'm now concentrated on my new project Vize, therefore XPize hasnt got any update recently. I will explain in a few lines my thoughts about XPize future:

XPize will no longer be released in the classic NSIS installer. The NSIS installer has been bad for both me as developer and you as users for several reasons:

• NSIS code hard to maintain
  • NSIS does not allow advanced features (or makes them hard to implement)
  • NSIS does the easiest difficult
  • Users have been dealing with an improper installer
  • Users have been lacking advanced features
  • Users have been lacking a *real* desktop application

For these reasons amongst others, XPize will be completelly rewritten in C#. I know the main complain about this will be the requirement of the .Net Framework 2.0, but I'm a C# coder (I earn my living with it), so I will not look back on this. If the framework stops you from using XPize, it is your decision and I respect it.

I will start writing the new XPize after the first stable version of Vize 1.0 is released.

Thank you very much for you patience.

XPero

SO what you're saying is... that's a long, long way away.

Also, will you be releasing 4.7 final? Or will that be on the new base?

Or are you going to start the new one on 4.8?

Edited by brucevangeorge

yeah a bit i guess, but not that much

Xpero is releasing Vize versions quicklyi downloaded the 0.2 version some time back and now i got the info that 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 and 0.6 are released already

I think there are about 5-6 releases left for Vize before it becomes final

So he might start his work on Xpize again by the end of this year and lets hope we see some good things about are beloved xpize by January/February :)

Edited by Madhav

For these reasons amongst others, XPize will be completelly rewritten in C#. I know the main complain about this will be the requirement of the .Net Framework 2.0,

I will start writing the new XPize after the first stable version of Vize 1.0 is released.

.net is almost inevitable for any xp machine, so your switching from nsis to c# won't be that worrysome. I hope you will keep bringing best for XP for times to come as you must observe that with sp3 of xp due in 2008, the clientage of xp is not going to fade for a long time.

But, your plan to release xpize after vize 1.0 is really a point of concern, so all I can hope is that vize final build is released soon.

Edited by clavicle

The reason for starting the new XPize after Vize is finished is simple. I want a solid patcher that both Vize and XPize can share (they inner workings are not the same, but very similar).

The reason for starting the new XPize after Vize is finished is simple. I want a solid patcher that both Vize and XPize can share (they inner workings are not the same, but very similar).

So are you going to be polishing up 4.7 beta 2 and releasing as-is?

Or are you going to redo it on the new codebase and release it when its done?

Basically what I'm asking is: Should I stick with 4.6? Or is 4.7 final coming around the corner soon? (month or so)

The next version of XPize you will be able to download will be the C# one. XPize 4.7 will not be finished. The latest beta is pretty stable, so you can use it till I finished the C# XPize.

I may share a library eventually for those who want to create shell packs, but a XIS alternative is not in my mind right now. But you will not have problems in getting help from me and creating your own pack ;)

let me adress it even further the new patcher support scripting files that would allow you to for example

> extract file.dll.zip to folder c:\temp\xpize\file_dll\

> check the all the files in that folder, and for *.bmp file patch them into thair destination.

so basicly it WOULD even be WAY simpler for you guys to craate your own patches for the most part...

as you wouldn't even have to fidle with the scripts anymore...

if implemented nicely all xpero has to do is build the base system like

> installing al the file to thair apropriate loctions

> telling the patcher what scripts to load (and thus wich files to patch)

> a file version check (deamon) to be able to spot if al file are stil patched

> and maybe one or two others im forgetting right now...