Missing file for Microsoft Update?

Bugs Bunny

Downloaded the newest updates of TC's list and made a new HFSLiped XP SP2 CD.

When I run Microsoft Update the following screens appear:

upd1dj3.jpg

upd2ka6.jpg

then "searching the most recent windows update software" and then:

upd3nh2.jpg

Didn't grab the actual file that got downloaded.

I remember from earlier HFLIPed XP CDs, that Windows update ran directly without the need of such an update.

Do I miss a certain update or is this a general behaviour of windows update now?

Some licence stuff?

It's probably Windows Update Agent. Back around August 22nd or so, Microsoft started imposing a manditory update of the files (from version 7.0.6000.374 to version 7.0.6000.381). This update is currently available only through Windows Update or Microsoft Update. They haven't yet issued an updated standalone installer. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I've been waiting weeks for a new standalone installer, and would be happy to get this finally resolved as well.

The first two screens should be due to not including MUAuth.cab in HFCABS.

The third screen is caused by what badrad600 said. I figured this out today as well when investigating this. Basically, out of the Windows Update Agent 3.0 files HFSLIP slipstreams, Microsoft/Windows Update wants to update all except wuauserv.dll and wusetup.exe to even newer versions. The separate CAB files (cdm.cab, wuapi.cab, etc.) obtainable from the "usual" location still contain the Windows Update 3.0 file versions and I've found no record of where MU/WU are getting the new ones from. This is beyond our control....

Hello,

short information for the interested as I received the question on how to acquire this link yourself (although the download location for the new standalone version is posted all over the forums now): you can always find out the most recent download location looking into wuredist.xml (packed in wuredist.cab). Download and documentation by Microsoft here:

Updating the WUA

Stumbled upon this a long time ago when I was on search myself.

HTH,

Tomalak

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem with Greek Windows until I realised that windows update agent did not install and I figured out the reason.

The hfslip.cmd sets the Language through the I386\PRODSPEC.INI when it reads the Localization= line.

In my PRODSPEC.INI that line was Localization=ELLINIKA (where ELLINIKA spelled in Greek alphabet) but normally it should be Localization=Greek.

So the hfslip.cmd didn't find the Localization=Greek line and didn't set the Localization at all and Windows Update Agent didn't install.

That could be the same case with the German Install at first post.

I edited the PRODSPEC.INI and changed the line Localization=ELLINIKA to Localization=Greek and then hfslip.cmd slipstreamed the Windows Update Agent.

Hmm... This could be difficult. Do you mind putting PRODSPEC.INI in a ZIP and attaching it here? I need to do some testing which I can't do from the image.

BTW... Would you be interested in having the 3rd cumulative time zone update supported for Greek systems? I posted instructions in the beginning of this thread.

Hmm... This could be difficult. Do you mind putting PRODSPEC.INI in a ZIP and attaching it here? I need to do some testing which I can't do from the image.

BTW... Would you be interested in having the 3rd cumulative time zone update supported for Greek systems? I posted instructions in the beginning of this thread.

Ok I attach the file.

I tested the 3rd cumulative time zone update and it seems that is installed fine. qfecheck shows that kb933360 is installed.

prodspec.zip

Try the latest test release (71103a). This should add support for your original PRODSPEC.INI.

The 3rd time zone package for HFSLIP doesn't have Greek language files. Most likely, the wrong language was installed.

Ok now the latest test version seems to recognise the original PRODSPEC.INI. I haven't installed virtual yet but I don't get any error when I run hfslip.

For the 3rd time zone package I'll post to the relevant thread.