Crazy wireless network problem

Hello guys!

i've got a wierd problem with my network at home :blink:

everytime my mother turns on the microwave oven my led from my WiFi-card starts to flash and then i lose my connection with my router :wacko::blushing:

any1 of you guys/girls got a sollution or suggestion(s) for that?

i've already got a new WiFi card but the problems stays the same

also my dad's pc and my brother's laptop don't have that problem. it's only my laptop!!!

and it's driving me crazy :wacko:

Thank you for reading this

:hello:

Microwaves travel in the 2.4GHz range, so that means that yes, your Microwave oven can (and probably will) cause interference at possibly 50 feet (and even more depending on the age of the microwave and how many obstacles are between the oven and the WAP and laptop). In short, unless your WAP and wireless card are using the 5GHz spectrum (802.11a), then yes, this can actually happen because of a microwave oven. The device spec on a laptop's PCMCIA slot or MiniPCI slot is generally designed to output far less power than a desktop PCI card even on the max power configuration for the laptop, so it may not matter what 802.11b/g/n card you use.

Again, if you can, try 802.11a for your WAP and wireless card in the laptop, as the 5GHz range is far less populated than the 2.4GHz range (almost all wireless devices you can think of use the 2.4GHz range unless otherwise specified :yes:).

well the microwave is pretty new cause we moved in this house 2 years ago

and the router is in the room next to me and the only obstacles between me and the router is a door and a wall

i've also checked the settings of my router but it can't use 802.11a only b and g.

but my router is a bit outdated and a friend of my dad's said we should buy a new one.

could the problem maybe be the router? or am i stuck now?

and thank you for the advice :hello:

I had a similar problem once. I fixed mine by altering the channel on the wireless router... I think you have around 11 channels you can use...

what channel did you put it on?

i've found what you mean but i don't know what the "best" channel is atm it's on channel 11

and if i change my channel doest is harm my network? like pc's that can't connect anymore or passwords that reset or something?

or does it all stay the same?

Edited by volcanus

I had a similar problem once. I fixed mine by altering the channel on the wireless router... I think you have around 11 channels you can use...

There are 11 channels, but only 3 are non-overlapping - 1, 6, and 11. For example, channel 3 is really part of channel 1's range, channel 5 is part of channel 6's range, and channel 9 is part of channel 11's range (etc).

but what channels is good? and will it change anything to my current settings?

i'm channel is 11 at the moment. i've also asked a friend of mine about these channels but i'm still waiting for an answer.

but thank you guys for the advice ;)

Hi,

Frankly if this was happening to me I would be worried that that Microwave Oven was faulty or leaking microwave radiation into the environment.

It should be urgently tested and if faulty replaced with a newer model which doesn't leak.

Kind Regards

Simon

but what channels is good? and will it change anything to my current settings?

i'm channel is 11 at the moment. i've also asked a friend of mine about these channels but i'm still waiting for an answer.

but thank you guys for the advice ;)

cluberti's advice is sound, as usual. Try changing between those three channels to see if performance improves. Your other settings should be safe.