IPOD, the killer of computers?

darkrain777

Check this out. The other day I decided to charge my IPOD, which I guess was a bad idea even though I didn't realize it at the time. So I plug my IPOD into to the front USB port, and the computer freezes. I understand this, so I restart the computer and it says "No signal, Video Connected?". This I thought was strange, so I tried resetting the bios, thinking the computer may have tried to boot off the IPOD. I did this three times, but to no avail. So my next idea was my monitor was gone, so I tired another one. Then I tried another graphics card, both did not work. I even tried reseating the RAM and removing the CMOS battery and reseating that too. So now I'm wondering, is my motherboard fried? Or is it some other culprit (I blame Apple, but how do I fix it?). Thanks for any help/suggestions.

It could be the power supply, however the strange part is that all the fans including the CPU fan go on when the computer starts, also the CD/DVD drive lights go on. This leads me to believe the power supply is okay. The lights on the motherboard (3 little LED's also light up).

Edited by darkrain777

It’s not the PSU, and spinning up fans doesn’t say any thing about a good PSU neither.

Richard0612 pointed in the right direction, however, try to reset the BIOS. If that doesn’t help replace the motherboard, sadly enough...

It’s not the iPOD that killed the computer, do you remember when it displays "don’t disconnect from the computer" or so on the display of the iPOD? Same as you connect it, I’m sure that in the user manual is says something like "Power down your computer before connecting any USB devices"...

No joke, but I think USB Flash Drives are an exception (they smoke up and not the PC most of the time ;))... read some user manuals of printers, external HDDs, scanners and so on...

Well, besides flash drives, people plug in usb mice by the thousands with no problem. USB external modems are not reported to cause any problem when plugged in with the computer powered on. I can think of various other devices, but you get my point.