VCACHE fix attempt

Xeno86

So the best setting, is no setting. Thanks, I can see the light now, it was dimmed, but its bright now :w00t:

I would guess, as far as SP3 is concerned, that it should use the best setting for 1GB of ram or less, which it seems is no setting, and maybe add an easily found note in the docs of suggested changes the user should try if they want to use more than 1GB - assuming that the system can't tell how much ram is installed on its own and make the appropriate changes automatically. (If only it was that easy - but I know that it's not. :) )

Cheers and Regards

I would guess, as far as SP3 is concerned, that it should use the best setting for 1GB of ram or less, which it seems is no setting, and maybe add an easily found note in the docs of suggested changes the user should try if they want to use more than 1GB - assuming that the system can't tell how much ram is installed on its own and make the appropriate changes automatically. (If only it was that easy - but I know that it's not. :) )

Cheers and Regards

This is why I was asking. A script can be created to detect how much ram is on a system and add the necessary settings. I have already removed the settings in U98SESP 3.8 thanks to rloew. I would love to see a somewhat flawless build. As you all know, I can't do it by myself, I need help. Thanks again.

Cheers and Regards

This is why I was asking. A script can be created to detect how much ram is on a system and add the necessary settings. I have already removed the settings in U98SESP 3.8 thanks to rloew. I would love to see a somewhat flawless build. As you all know, I can't do it by myself, I need help. Thanks again.

As I mentioned before, not setting MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache is probably best as they have to be already set, if needed, before your SP can be installed.

If you choose to do so, I recommend the following:

If not using my RAM Limitation Patch or Xeno86's VCACHE Patch, MaxFileCache=524288 will cover most people, except maybe a few with certain Graphics Cards. MaxFileCache=393216 will cover just about everyone. People with particular uses, as I described previously, can always manually reset the value lower.

If you put in a script and detect more than 1160MB, don't set MaxPhysPage or MaxFileCache, as they are using my RAM Limitation Patch and shouldn't have them set at all.

Of course it's worth the time to put the file in SP3! If one does not need Xeno86's fixed VCache.VxD, the file is harmless and causes no issue at all. When it is, in fact, needed, then it's already there.

Of course it's worth the time to put the file in SP3! If one does not need Xeno86's fixed VCache.VxD, the file is harmless and causes no issue at all. When it is, in fact, needed, then it's already there.

Ah! I see! A memory upgrade could cause the issue. Good thinking.

• 3 weeks later...