How to slipstream vista sp1

nikhil14b

Unlike previous service pack updates for older Windows OSs, Microsoft does not provide any switches in the EXE to allow for simple integration. Part of the problem has to do with the completely different format that the Vista Setup DVD uses where each edition of Vista is a separate index in the install.wim and that each index needs to be separately updated.

While Microsoft could implement a switch to allow the user to select which index to update or a switch to update all the indexes, it will turn out to be a very lengthy and time-consuming process as we are talking about gigabytes of files that need to be updated/replaced, saved and recompressed.

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=9536

http://bink.nu/news/windows-vista-sp1-quot...quot-guide.aspx

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/vista-sp1...e/windows-vista

So it with a sense of relief that I can now report that drag and drop slipstreaming--excuse me, offline updating--is still happening. It's just not happening in Vista SP1. "Vista Service Pack 1 will not be able to be applied as an offline update to prestaged install images," Zipkin told me. "But this will work as planned with future update, post-SP1 updates. We ran into some unexpected issues with the servicing stack, so we can't do it for SP1. But we're planning to add this capability for SP2, though we can't make any promises. This will be a bigger issue around SP2 than it is now. We think this is a one time thing. But you can still make your own slipstream DVD using the old '-integrate' method as with XP if you want to."

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1_inside.asp

We ran into some unexpected issues with the servicing stack, so we can't do it for SP1. But we're planning to add this capability for SP2, though we can't make any promises.

From the above quote

That's why microsoft made it so SP1 cannot be integrated + as the other quotes say it will take time to update all the versions of vista (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc..), and will be able to in SP2 (hopefully), so i don't think it will be illegal to integrate it they just had some problems... Basically they couldn't be bothered.

Also when installing SP1 and read the agreements it says nothing about slipstreaming, integrating, updating offline image, etc.. You can recheck just to be sure.

Extra quote - some good news...

The controversy surrounding the standalone installer involves the time and effort it currently takes to get it installed. During the beta, testers are experiencing three lengthy reboots, and Microsoft has received a number of complaints about this process. Well, here's some good news: This is a beta-only issue. By the time most customers install SP1 in early 2008, the installer will only require a single reboot.

What's happening is that Vista SP1 requires two or three prerequisites, depending on whether BitLocker is installed. These prerequisites need to be installed before SP1 can be successfully deployed, and they each require their own reboot. (One of these prerequisites, incidentally, is the servicing code mentioned previously that is causing the offline updating limitations.) Before the end of calendar year 2007, Microsoft will ship final versions of these prerequisite updates to Vista customers via Windows Update so that they will be installed well before SP1 is released. (They may ship as part of the company's regularly scheduled monthly security patch update cycle in November. Or not. They're not sure yet.) That way, Vista-based PCs can reboot silently overnight once or twice between now and SP1. So when SP1 ships, most customers will experience just a single reboot for install. These updates will also go out on new PCs this holiday season so that those machines are ready for SP1 as well.

"SP1 won't need 3 reboots in the final version," Zipkin said. "When SP1 comes out, most people will have already gotten these prerequisites. It will affect beta testers and reviewers but not customers. The average consumer won't ever see this."

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1_inside.asp

Hope you don't mind me posting this information, i did add the original link where i got them from so you can see more information. Hope this helps too :D

Lego

Edited by legolash2o

That's why SP1 cannot be integrated + as the other quotes say it will take time to update all the versions of vista (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc..), and will be able to in SP2 (hopefully), so i don't think it will be illegal to integrate it they just had some problems...

But it can be integrated. At least 16633 (the Pre-Beta) can be integrated, I haven't yet tried to integrate Beta 1 as I haven't had time, but for 16633, it just requires first integrating the new servicing stack which is one of the CABs provided in the SP1 exe using the RTM pkgmgr and then integrate the rest of the CABs using an updated pkgmgr from SP1. All that is Levien's method. I tested this and it does work although it is extremely annoying in terms of how long it takes. OR you can do a reverse integration (http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=9536) which isn't exactly offline slipstreaming but it gets you to the same SP1 wim file which also can be vlited. (Tested with 16633)

Its just not ideal to integrate and that's probably why MS are saying it can't be, its just not practical. Now whether they broke offline integration in Beta 1, I don't know... yet however reverse integration should work just fine in Beta 1 and in the final version as that does not depend on anything regarding offline integration.

In the end, I really don't see why everyone is making a big fuss out of being able to or not being able to slipstream SP1. MS will release full SP1 ISOs which will be the one you'll want as the full SP1 ISO will have updated setup, boot.wim files which a slipstream cannot do.

Edited by Arneh

In the end, I really don't see why everyone is making a big fuss out of being able to or not being able to slipstream SP1. MS will release full SP1 ISOs which will be the one you'll want as the full SP1 ISO will have updated setup, boot.wim files which a slipstream cannot do.

but i cant exactly go back to my retailer and trade my non-SP1 vista disk with a disk with SP1, so i'll want to be able to integrate it... i don't want to buy a new vista sp1 disk

but i cant exactly go back to my retailer and trade my non-SP1 vista disk with a disk with SP1, so i'll want to be able to integrate it... i don't want to buy a new vista sp1 disk

Well, there are many ways to get the SP1 media. If you're at a university, you'll be able to get it via MSDNAA for free. If not, MS have http download links (no user/pass required) for Vista (I'm not sure how legal it is to post those so I won't be doing that) but nevertheless there are http download links by MS for the whole Vista DVD which will no doubt get updated to SP1 when SP1 is final. And finally, you can get the media for only $5 from ie. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...roductname_link which really isn't too unreasonable.

My point is, would you rather try to force a slipstream of it (and hope that it works) especially since MS won't be supporting it in any way or go with one of the above? Anyway, if you still want to somehow slip it and if vLite doesn't get full support for slipping, http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=9536 works just fine and will get you a vLite'able install.wim and will work even if slipstreaming doesn't work in the future but, even though I wrote it, I strongly suggest getting a clean full SP1 ISO.

Edited by Arneh

with your method, will be be able to install Office 2007 and other stuff aswell so there already installed?

You could install anything you want and then repack the wim however you may get issues with shortcuts etc. not working correctly if you then install to a different partition/drive letter (this is a complete guess as I haven't tried to install apps). The generalize function for Sysprep takes care of partition/drive letter issues for the actual Windows install so that you can install it to whatever system/drive you want later but in terms of it taking care of specific applications, you'll have to try for yourself and see. Again, it's something that I haven't had time for but would like to try sometime.

Of course, another issue with installing apps and repacking the wim is what effect it will have on vLite when you go to try and remove components etc. and whether or not vLite will break anything in the registry store or remove any files related/required for those apps.

Edited by Arneh

If you are able to obtain the full SP1 ISO, then a better way may be the following:

1. vLite the SP1 ISO customizing/removing any components/features that you don't need

2. Install the vLited SP1 and enter Audit mode as per my guide.

3. Install your apps

4. Generalize/OOBE from Sysprep

5. Repack the wim

In this way, you won't have to deal with the possibility that vLite may screw up app installs but you may still have the issue with shortcuts etc. that I described in the previous post (if that issue even exists when using Generalize)

Edited by Arneh

hello ppl,

thnax for the replies..

i have found an article telling how to integrate the vista sp1

its called as reverse integration,but its too time consuming...

ne ways thanx for replying.

hope vlite with integration facility comes soon...i am waiting...

bye

• 1 month later...

Reverse integration is also not the way to go, because you would get SP1 in the install.wim, but you would still have RTM in the boot.wim. It would just be a selfmade mess, if any of the boot drivers happen to be updated or if vulnerabilities in the WinPE needed to be patched. I see how integrating SP1 into Vista RTM would take a lot of time, because all the seperate images would need to be updated. I don't see how this would change for SP2, which can only be bigger than SP1. Unless you are supposed to integrate SP2 into an SP1 disc.

I say get yourself some official SP1 media when it's released: either buy the software assurance discs for $10 or so, borrow somebody's retail disc, or download it somewhere. Packing an online image is for building a corporate install, that includes default settings, drivers and third party software, it was never intended for just integrating microsoft updates.

If not, MS have http download links (no user/pass required) for Vista (I'm not sure how legal it is to post those so I won't be doing that)

If it isn't protected and is on Microsoft's server, what's the problem? If they don't want it public then they need to put it on part of their network that isn't on the internet.

Arneh, I just made the SP1 RC integrated from XP as secondary OS and this time it worked. Thank you.

(first time I did it from another Vista, maybe messed up something else but the image was unusable, weird)

jdeboeck, hey, haven't seen you in a long time.

This captured thing is perfectly ok, boot.wim is not an issue and it seems like it switches to SP1 after the first reboot (the GUI changes a tiny bit, maybe unimportant).

It would be perfect to have boot.wim updated as well but if it works who cares, nothing is copied from it into the final install.

Since when do you surrender to what they decide? :)

We capture so that we don't have to wait for them. Can't install SP on the lite install anyway. Can't configure at will, gotta install it for an hour every time after reinstall, cmon, did you forget how to be an enthusiast :)

This integration makes it possible to have that extra option just in case. And even the direct integration worked until RC, they switched from offline to online package. It did have some extra errors so this capture is better since it has no errors.