Problem getting my screen to a projector

tjodrik

Hi all,

I might not use the proper terminology here, but I guess you all know what I mean. I'm basically just trying the standard procedure of plugging the projector cable to my computer, and then project whatever is on my screen. One crucial part fails. The magic Fn+F3 function (or whichever button that has the 'two monitor' function) does nothing for me.

I assume it's because I have disabled something (a service or something?) on my computer because I couldn't see the function of it. But I don't know what that would be. Any help is highly appreciated.

Assuming you are talking about a laptop, the cause could be

- the function is not Fn F3 but something else (Toshiba uses Fn F5, Fujitsu Fn F10, it should be drawn on the key)

-the resolution you use on your laptop is to big for the projector, first try in 800x600)

-the projector has more "Video Input" to choose from and it is not set to VGA or which ever one your computer is plugged to (s-video, RGB...).

-the projector is off or in sleep mode (I guess you checked that)

Do you have any image from the projector ?

In general, try boting the computer after the cable is plugged, the image should come to the external screen by default.

There are aditional settings from the advanced disply properties (video card drivers). Most recent laptops allow you to have different resolutions on the LCD and external.

The function is definitely Fn+F3, since the F3 key has the two-monitor symbol on it. The resolution for the external monitor is actually set to 640x480 when I look at Display>Settings. There's nothing wrong with the projector or the projector settings, because when I plugged in someone else's laptop, it worked at once. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 graphic card. Actually, when I rebooted my computer, I could see the booting process on the projector screen, but as soon as I came into Windows, it went blank again, so it's definitely something about my settings in Windows.

I only installed the graphic drivers, since I like to do things minimally. I didn't install any software or anything that came with ATI. Should that be necessary in order to get my screen to be externally projected?

Check if Extend Desktop to monitor X is enabled (disable if it is), as this will tend to conflict/kill the mirrored desktop option on a laptop.

It's enabled for my primary monitor, but it cannot be disabled. It's greyed out.

Check if Extend Desktop to monitor X is enabled (disable if it is), as this will tend to conflict/kill the mirrored desktop option on a laptop.

It's enabled for my primary monitor, but it cannot be disabled. It's greyed out.

Right, you can't disable the primary monitor. In the Display Properties/Settings tab, you will see monitor 1 and 2. Click on 2 and you should have an enable option. It may be in the context menu.

Right, you can't disable the primary monitor. In the Display Properties/Settings tab, you will see monitor 1 and 2. Click on 2 and you should have an enable option. It may be in the context menu.

Yeah, we tried both options there. It projected nothing.

Yeah, we tried both options there. It projected nothing.

Also, check to see if it is actually projecting nothing or not. Sometimes, if you have a wallpaper, it will only display on the first monitor. Have you tried moving a window from the first screen and see if it appears on the second one?

The resolution for the external monitor is actually set to 640x480

I could see the booting process on the projector screen, but as soon as I came into Windows, it went blank again

It's definitely a resolution/freq. problem. Try setting it to 800x600.