HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

I would just like to add that i like this approach Kurt has, and as i always used anyway before i came across it , the single hotfixes integration i mean instead of packs.

The pack is nice tho, but sometimes i am doing installs without IE at all, then it becomes excessive baggage, as i have my presets and similar, that keeps the install IE free, as close as anyway.

Imho the pack would be better off, if IE and outlook f.ex updates were in a separate pack/s.

I just got word from developers of punkbuster that future version of punkbuster installer will not show error messages is previouvly here mentioned was shown if windows firewall was removed, even if installer is launched with no prompts/no display command lines. Basically this just made my day. Hopefully new version will be released soon.

This just goes to show that telling people what doesnt work/or dislike etc, can sometimes actually be done something about.

Total silent windows install with everything ready on first login? Yes thank you very much.

Kurt,

You may know about this, but I have found an audio driver that is suppose to work for 64 bit Guests. I attach one I found on the VMware web site and a signed one I found via Google. I have been trying to run VMware Server 2.0RC1. It should have an audio(VMaudio) driver as part of VMware Tools64, but the audio fails to install when the tools install. I tried these drivers on my VM and have no luck so far - still 'no audio device'. I have an open thread on the VMware forum and if I don't learn something soon, I will try integrating the signed VMaudio driver and see if that works.

This driver is listed to work on versions 1.0.4, 1.0.5 and 1.0.6. If you give it a try and are able to get audio to work, please let me know how you do it.

Enjoy, John

July updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\290-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB941644-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\350-Windows-en-US-KB943729-x64_b9de932f286c62685fed238462a38d734b36ff18.exe

Modifications:

Move (& rename) RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951376-x64-ENU.exe to Hotfix\415-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951376-x64-ENU.exe

Delete the \DirectX_9c folder, instead place the unextracted redistributable at \RunOnce

Moved Windows Defender to \AddOns (not in the same class as .Net et al)

Additions (at \Hotfix):

@ 430-Windows-en-US-KB943729.exe [890,936] Optional, Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions, updated version

@ 440-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951748-x64-ENU.exe [5,106,736]

Important change at step 7 of the process, the RunOnce file should now be (no more "pause"):

TimeOut /T 40
CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

Application support (\AddOns):

Added

Opera

Orbit Downloader

Tweak UI x64 extracted (installed) if 7-zip present

Modified

Rewrote ChOwn*.bat files & created links for easier usage

Do NOT extract VMware tools, just copy windows.iso to \AddOns (again needing 7-zip)

Removed Azureus (they've blocked the silent install switch in the latest version)

JohnHC:

As I understand it VMware server does not emulate audio hardware, so I don't think any driver will help.

Kurt,

I am now listening to Internet radio on my 64 bit guest and I think you can also! Look in your .vmx file (VM not running) and change your virtual device as follows:

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

Mine originally said sb16 instead of es1371. That should cause you to show a sound adapter (enable it in guest configuration) in Device Manager. Install one of the drivers I posted and see what happens - good luck! I am running 2.0.0RC1 and VMware Tools contain the driver for me.

Thanks for the July update. I guess you know nuhi fixed the KB951376 integration problem in nLite 1.4.7. I tried it last week and it seems to work fine.

I have not looked through all you updates and will soon. Good idea on the VMware Tools not needing extracting. I noticed for RC1, they have separated 32 and 64 bit items (e.g. VMware Tools64.msi) in the .iso. I extracted it and deleted all that I could identify that I thought I did not need, then 7-ZIPped it to about 16 MB. The ADDLOCAL=ALL switch causes a problem (failure to register DLL) so I use only '/i <file name> /qn /norestart' which seems to work fine.

Have fun with your sound, but please let me know if it doesn't work.

John

JohnHC:

No such line exists in my .vmx file, but then I'm running v1.0.5 rather than v2rc1

Added a note in the applications section that K-Lite Mega Codec pack 4.00 has a regression bug that breaks silent install, use v3.95 instead.

Kurt,

If you want sound, you should have the following code in your .vmx file:

sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

You should also have the audio adapter enabled in your VM configuration. Perhaps the code is not present if not enabled.

I had all these lines in versions 1.0.x, it is not a function of RC1.

Enjoy, John.

I don't include IE7 because not everybody wants it. nLite still does a kickass job of integrating it on top of my pack though, even with the two IE6 updates that I include. ;)

I don't mean to steal Kurt's thunder, but my pack was brought up...

You have some great stuff here, Kurt. :)

you should... IE6 have's too many W3C DOM incompatibilities.. IE6 should be deleted from every computer in the world (well IE7 should too, but we're not discussing that here :P)

And IE6 isn't secure at all... I can tell you as a web developer...

oh... btw, good work Kurt! this guide simplified my life a lot :P

Cheers!

I had to add the hardware to my configuration in VMware Server 1.0.6, but it does work with either of the drivers given by johnhc. And nLite will slipstream the signed driver without difficulty. :)

post-62992-1215892890_thumb.png

BTW, I met you halfway, TranceEnergy, by removing the IE6 updates due to a confilct when slipstreaming IE7 with nLite.

Why should I include IE7 when nLite does the job perfectly, knifesk? If I can't do it better then there's no point trying. ;)

I had to add the hardware to my configuration in VMware Server 1.0.6, but it does work with either of the drivers given by johnhc. And nLite will slipstream the signed driver without difficulty. :)

post-62992-1215892890_thumb.png

BTW, I met you halfway, TranceEnergy, by removing the IE6 updates due to a confilct when slipstreaming IE7 with nLite.

Why should I include IE7 when nLite does the job perfectly, knifesk? If I can't do it better then there's no point trying. ;)

I found one thing interesting, the microsoft usb port drivers. As far as i could see it was only 2003 versions updated, but ANYWAY, if that is indeed updated usb drivers that also work perfect for xp x64, it should be permanently

included. I didnt found any download atm.

The version of usbport.sys i have is 5.2.3790.3959 and in that fix (copy&paste)

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, x64-based versions

File name File version File size Date Time Platform SP requirement

Usbehci.sys 5.2.3790.4189 52,224 14-Nov-2007 14:30 x64 SP2

Usbohci.sys 5.2.3790.4189 26,880 14-Nov-2007 14:31 x64 SP2

Usbport.sys 5.2.3790.4189 214,016 14-Nov-2007 14:31 x64 SP2

Usbuhci.sys 5.2.3790.4189 32,896 14-Nov-2007 14:31 x64 SP2

I have however never had a problem with black screen etc when turning off pc, that i know of.

Anyway, i totally like having drivers updated.

Let's get down on this driver and test it in any case, if this does work or not. Looking forward to this.

Edit: just got it downloaded, and installed. Had to go through that e-mail me hotfix ordeal. Works great. The driver is about 1kb larger.

Now for some further testing =D

Edited by TranceEnergy

Kurt :

Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) x64

Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) (32bit version)

I'm going to take the x64 version only, and do a real reinstall today i think. Would want 8.7 official ati drivers but it will have to be done later.

Also:

As you may or may not be aware of, there has been announced new ATI driver support for PHYSX, more or less OpenPHYSX, or such.

It is currently boosting benchmarks, and there is no need for a dedicated physx card in computer.

I dont know how it is going to be released officially yet, but hoping it will be driver integration, but in the option it doesnt, a installer program, i'm hoping you may considering at least trying it out.

Free performance benefits is a winner in my book.

Okay, more double posting, seeing as everyone is on vacation atm and i am a sucker for attention =).

I went through all of the optional/misc updates 5eraph had on his list, and i found some very interesting things.

A picture says it all.....

post-91607-1216649614_thumb.png

Also i found some things that used drivers from Vista x64, which i already knew was possible (using ATI Serial ATA native driver f.ex from vista64 works great in xp x64), but best:

New Kernel version.

Even though these updates are only updating minor things specifically, chances are they are made with updated libraries or what not.

I have installed every gawdamn last one of these manually, and had no problems.

Going to do a real nlite install now that i have this out of the way.

But not quite sure what order to do it all in, i will probably just throw them all in there at once, for now, my current install is broken due to one too many new hardware installs (new mobo/gfx etc).

Have fun =)

Not holidays exactly, if it was I'd have some time. I mean to have an in depth look at the extras in 5eraph's pack when I get the chance, not sure when that will be though.

I don't include the Malicious Software Removal Tool for 2 reasons:

1. If you're going to run it, do so after you've installed all your applications, if not then just ignore it.

2. By virtue of showing up when you check for updates, it proves that the Windows Update service is working correctly.

Not holidays exactly, if it was I'd have some time. I mean to have an in depth look at the extras in 5eraph's pack when I get the chance, not sure when that will be though.

I don't include the Malicious Software Removal Tool for 2 reasons:

1. If you're going to run it, do so after you've installed all your applications, if not then just ignore it.

2. By virtue of showing up when you check for updates, it proves that the Windows Update service is working correctly.

Wise words as always.

I also just noticed you have skipped using x86 version of Visual c++. Can i ask why?

I am going to try the same, only with the 2008 version instead.

I'm having a bit of an annoyance, which i need a registry fix of sorts for. It's been bugging me for months but never to severe to the point i actually started doing research until i had a solution, i intend to change that now.:

Everytime i check for windows updates/ OR go to device manager, its a yellow icon, for the Microsoft UAA bus driver for High Definition Audio.

Have googled in the past but obviously didnt find any resolution.

And if i DO download the actual driver for it, there are no drivers for it for x64 (it was already included way back in sp2, or perhaps it came with x64 cd, doesnt matter tho),

It only updates whatever registry key so there are no missing driver in WU and no yellow icon in device mgr.

Im going to check the driver itself.

edit: Glad to see you around Kurt =)

Also:

Why bot .Net 2.0+sp1 pack and also .net 3.5?

Why not just 3.5? (edit: i see in the reference assemblies folder, there are only 3.0 and 3.5 folders, no 2.0-hm...)

i reckon you keep both entries there, but at least you should REM one of them.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Punkbuster Services program has been SILENTLY updated, and now runs silently.

For all you gamers:

echo Installing Punkbuster,New update 24july 2008 (download date).

%Source%Silence\pbsvc.exe /i --no-prompts --i-accept-the-pb-eula

It WILL pop up the installation gui, but you dont have to click or anything, it will shutdown by itself.

I tested this with uninstalling PB, had FW disabled/stopped, then i launched the install with parameters here shown. Worked perfectly.

Kurt:

I tried installing .dot net 3.5 and the 120 seconds timer was not enough for the program to finish it's optimizations, ie go idle, it kept at 50% cpu usage, till 120 seconds ran out.

I'm thinking it might need a good 3 minutes and 30 seconds or so. I'm going to test 2.0 now, and clock down how long the install takes, real install as always.

Stopped using Vm a while back now.

Edited by TranceEnergy