HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

You don't have to do anything with the batch files (except copy them across at step 9), all you have to do is download the listed files and then follow the 10 steps.

Everything from the heading "Application AddOns:" onwards is optional settings and/or additional information.

• 2 weeks later...

June updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\304-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969947-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\388-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB979306-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\904-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980182-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\916-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980302-x64-ENU.exe

RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978262-x64-ENU.exe

WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB968816-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

@ . . . Hotfix\428-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB981793-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 706,432 Time Zone - May 2010 - Cumulative

@ . . . Hotfix\432-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980218-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 890,240 MS10-037 - OpenType Compact Font Format (CFF)

@ . . . Hotfix\436-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB979482-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 749,440 MS10-033 - Asycfilt.dll (COM component)

@ Hotfix\440-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB975562-x64-ENU.exe .. . 3,061,632 MS10-033 - Quartz.dll (DirectShow)

@ Hotfix\444-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB979559-x64-ENU.exe .. . 4,337,024 MS10-032 - Kernel-Mode Drivers

# Hotfix\904-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB982381-x64-ENU.exe 41,834,880 MS10-035 - Cumulative Security Update

@ . . . Hotfix\916-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB982632-x64-ENU.exe .. . 677,248 Compatibility View list

@ . . . RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980195-x64-ENU.exe .. 674,688 MS10-034 - ActiveX Kill Bits - Cumulative

@ . . . RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB979909-x64.exe .. . 966,504 MS10-041 - Data Tampering

# RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB982168-x64.exe 38,987,624 Strengthen Authentication Credentials

@ . . . WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB978695-x64-ENU.exe . 1,500,552 MS10-033 - Media Format Runtime

Replacements:

% RunOnce\directx_Jun2010_redist.exe 100,273,008

. . . MD5: 4E41372E8775E8025BE013480B0629B3

. . . SHA-1: 3B90E800086F75FDB129BDB3A5D875E381C89736

@ . . . RunOnce\install_flash_player_ax.exe 1,956,528 Updated 10 June

Fairly busy month, I for one really wish Microsoft would just release for download IE8 sp1, WMP11 sp1 and especially .Net 3.5 sp2 (one installer for i586 and amd64, another for Itanium), doing those 3 alone should save over 200MB of downloads.

Does the .bat script rely on some xp components to run?

I'm asking it because if I remove components with nlite along with the rest of the procedure, the .bat files do not run.

I means a cmd windows open at first logon but then nothing is installed, not the applications neither the .net or directx.

I don't remove any components then everything works fine.

Do you have any idea what could cause that?

Basically I remove:

[Components]

;# Applications #

Accessibility Options

Briefcase

Calculator

Charmap

ClipBook Viewer

Defragmenter

Games

Internet Games

NT Backup

Paint

Pinball

Screensavers

WordPad

;# Drivers #

Display Adapters

Display Adapters (old)

Ethernet (LAN)

ISDN

Modems

Multifunctional

Printers

Scanners

SCSI/RAID

Sound Controllers

Tape drives

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)

;# Hardware Support #

AGP filters

ALI IDE Controller

ATM Support

Battery

Brother Devices

CMD PCI IDE Controller

Iomega Zip drive

Multi-port serial adapters

PCMCIA

Secure Digital host controller

Smart Cards

Toshiba PCI IDE Controller

VIA PCI IDE Controller

Windows CE USB Host

;# Multimedia #

AOL ART Image Format Support

Images and Backgrounds

Intel Indeo codecs

Luna desktop theme

Mouse Cursors

Movie Maker

Music Samples

Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder

Windows Sounds

;# Network #

Active Directory Services

Communication tools

Connection Manager

H323 MSP

Internet Connection Wizard

Internet Information Services (IIS)

IP Conferencing

MSN Explorer

Netmeeting

NetShell Cmd-Tool

Network Monitor Driver and Tools

Network Setup Wizard

NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol

Peer-to-Peer

Share Creation Wizard

Synchronization Manager

Vector Graphics Rendering (VML)

Windows Messenger

;# Operating System Options #

Administration Tools Pack

Administrative Templates

Administrator VB scripts

Color Schemes

Command-line tools

Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Disk Cleanup

Document Templates

DR Watson

Extra Fonts

FAT to NTFS converter

File and Settings Wizard

Help and Support

IExpress Wizard

Out of Box Experience (OOBE)

Private Character Editor

Remote Installation Services (RIS)

Search Assistant

Security Center

Service Pack Messages

Symbolic Debugger (NTSD)

Tour

Web View

Zip Folders

;# Services #

Alerter

Beep Driver

Error Reporting

Fax Service

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

Indexing Service

Messenger

Remote Registry

Removable Storage

Simple TCP/IP Services

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telnet

;# Directories #

SUPPORT

Edited by sonnet

I'm asking it because if I remove components with nlite along with the rest of the procedure, the .bat files do not run.

I means a cmd windows open at first logon but then nothing is installed, not the applications neither the .net or directx.

Basically I remove:

sonnet, in the future, please don't paste your Last Session - attach it. Also don't present a chopped up version. Attach the complete file - information at the top is very important. Also, we cannot even see how, or if, you are using the GUI RunOnce exit. The Command-line tools look like the most obvious candidate, but like I pointed out, we really cannot tell what you are trying to do. Please attach your complete Last Session. Enjoy, John.

Basically I remove:

sonnet, in the future, please don't paste your Last Session - attach it. Also don't present a chopped up version. Attach the complete file - information at the top is very important. Also, we cannot even see how, or if, you are using the GUI RunOnce exit. The Command-line tools look like the most obvious candidate, but like I pointed out, we really cannot tell what you are trying to do. Please attach your complete Last Session. Enjoy, John.

Hi, sorry for the copy and paste, I was trying to make the things easier not worse (that's why the chopped version, I put just the part I thought was relevant ).

Anyway this time I attached the file.

As I used the .ini file included in the guide as base, I thought there could be no mistake, even because if I don't remove anything the procedure works just fine, so I'm 99.99% sure it must be something I remove.

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by sonnet

Hi, sorry for the copy and paste, I was trying to make the things easier not worse (that's why the chopped version, I put just the part I thought was relevant ).

As I used the .ini file included in the guide as base, I thought there could be no mistake, even because if I don't remove anything the procedure works just fine, so I'm 99.99% sure it must be something I remove.

sonnet, thanks for the Last Session. I see you are running nLite under Vista (or W7). This can be a problem especially if you are integrating an SP. Did your CD come with SP2 or have you slipstreamed it? I am still leaning toward Command-line tools. Have you tried without removing it? I hope you are testing under a virtual system. VMware Player and VirtualBox are free. I see you have removed OOBE. The help text that shows when you mouse over the option says you cannot activate your copy of Windows without it. Hope you are OK with that. I assume you have run nLite only once against your fresh copy of the CD files/folders. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Meant to ask if you see anything from the GUI RunOnce command - "TimeOut /T 40" for example?

Edited by johnhc

sonnet, thanks for the Last Session. I see you are running nLite under Vista (or W7). This can be a problem especially if you are integrating an SP. Did your CD come with SP2 or have you slipstreamed it? I am still leaning toward Command-line tools. Have you tried without removing it? I hope you are testing under a virtual system. VMware Player and VirtualBox are free. I see you have removed OOBE. The help text that shows when you mouse over the option says you cannot activate your copy of Windows without it. Hope you are OK with that. I assume you have run nLite only once against your fresh copy of the CD files/folders. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Meant to ask if you see anything from the GUI RunOnce command - "TimeOut /T 40" for example?

Thanks for the help. As you suggested the problem was the "command line tools " component.

I did the same image without removing it, and now it's working under virtualbox.

Thanks for the help. As you suggested the problem was the "command line tools " component.

I did the same image without removing it, and now it's working under virtualbox.

sonnet, you are welcome. Glad you are good to go. Enjoy, John.

Kurt_Aust, I used the latest Flash installer with the -install switch but Flash is not installed. The log looks fine and is attached (as a txt). You will see three install attempts. The first is from my Run1 batch and the others are from my simply running the installer. I see no Flash in my Control Panel and none in the Manage Add-Ons in IE8. When I attempt to test Flash on the Adobe site, it wants to install it. Should I have to install the ActiveX during the test? Why do we mess with installing it in the batch file? BTW, I am using your guide but am now installing and moving in the general direct of W7 x64. Thanks, John.

It certainly works fine at this end, are you yanking out various components?

It's installed via the batch files simply because it cannot be integrated by nLite.

Kurt_Aust, thanks for your reply. I have removed nothing. Perhaps it is a W7 quirk. I'll do more searching. Thanks, John.

EDIT: I had a bad installer DLed from FileHippo. I found one on the Adobe site with the same size but different hashes. It installs fine. I have never figured out how to get an installer DL from the link you provide. I have always gotten mine from FileHippo. Mine is somewhat larger than yours. I assume that means it has the toolbar, but my IE8 on my VM does not.

EDIT Again: I just DLed another copy from FileHippo and the hashes are the same as the one I DLed from Adobe - go figure.

Edited by johnhc

Hi,

please remove 'NDP30SP2-KB976570-x64.exe' coz it makes problems....

A new update to include is 'NDP30SP2-KB982524-x64.exe'....

Please check.... It works perfect for me....

Thanx for this guide...

Cheers

Hi,

please remove 'NDP30SP2-KB976570-x64.exe' coz it makes problems....

A new update to include is 'NDP30SP2-KB982524-x64.exe'....

Please check.... It works perfect for me....

Thanx for this guide...

Cheers

KB976570 has indeed be superseded by KB982168, similarly KB974417 has been superseded by KB976569.

However when I checked previously Windows update kept offering the superseded updates, taking another look today it would appear that this has been fixed. So one can drop both KB974417 and KB976570 while adding KB982524, the appropriate section now becomes:

rem dotNet 2.0/3.5/4.0 + PowerShell

%Source%RunOnce\NetFx20SP2_x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\dotnetfx35.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB979909-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB982167-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB976569-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB958483-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB982168-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB982524-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP35SP1-KB958484-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\NDP35SP1-KB963707-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB961118-x64-ENU.exe /Passive /NoRestart

%Source%RunOnce\WindowsServer2003-KB968930-x64-ENG.exe /Passive /NoRestart

Updated the batch files and torent for the latest .Net patch

Deletions (these were already obsolete, but until recently Windows Update kept insisting on them):

RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB974417-x64.exe

RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB976570-x64.exe

Addition:

# RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB982524-x64.exe 30,834,536 Update Rollup

I've also added Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (3 installs version) to the supported application list:

Copy the contents of the installation CD to \AddOns\Office2007 and save the Office2007.msp file there, silent install of Office 2007 sp2 also supported. Classic bloat though, a 2.8MB file to effectively apply the /Passive switch, as per standard install you will have 25 activations before you have to enter a valid registration key.