HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

Sorry for going slightly off topic concerning Internet Explorer, but refresh my memory, wasn't there a firefox Windows Update project?

If such a thing ever became fully operational, i remember i was able to use it somewhat long ago, it sure would be interesting to have a firefox, or whatever it could manage of alternate browsers, -system only.

Of course, i only ever run IE for checking WU.

Hi, I have a problem when installing the dotnet 3.5 following the instructions on this guide. Dotnet installs OK, i.e., but when it reach KB958481 update, it always restart the PC, even though there is a /norestart switch. When the PC restarts, the rest of the entries on the batch file does not get executed. Am I the only person having this problem, as reading the whole posting does not offer any clue on how to solve this problem.

Hi, I have a problem when installing the dotnet 3.5 following the instructions on this guide. Dotnet installs OK, i.e., but when it reach KB958481 update, it always restart the PC, even though there is a /norestart switch. When the PC restarts, the rest of the entries on the batch file does not get executed. Am I the only person having this problem, as reading the whole posting does not offer any clue on how to solve this problem.

kenlau, please attach your batch file (please purge any private information) and we will take a look. Please also take a look at the first page of the thread. In his batch code Kurt_Aust shows both .NET 2.0 and 3.5. I only include the 3.5 installer, so maybe you should not include both. If that is what you are doing, that may be the problem. Enjoy, John.

kenlau, please attach your batch file (please purge any private information) and we will take a look. Please also take a look at the first page of the thread. In his batch code Kurt_Aust shows both .NET 2.0 and 3.5. I only include the 3.5 installer, so maybe you should not include both. If that is what you are doing, that may be the problem. Enjoy, John.

Hi John,

Actually my batch file has only dotnet entries, as shown below.

rem dotNet 2.0/3.5 + PowerShell
%Source%RunOnce\NetFx20SP2_x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\dotnetfx35.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB974417-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP20SP2-KB976569-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB958483-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP30SP2-KB976570-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP35SP1-KB958484-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\NDP35SP1-KB963707-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB961118-x64-ENU.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%RunOnce\WindowsServer2003-KB968930-x64-ENG.exe /Passive /NoRestart

As you can see, I copied it unchanged. I also noticed Kurt has both Net 2.0 and 3.5. I tried it with and without Net 2.0 entry, without any success.

kenlau, yours looks just like mine, except I do not have .NET 20SP2. Maybe you have a bum KB958481. The size (not size on disk) is 19,282,272 bytes and the hashes are:

MD5: 37CD8D927566FCABF4DFFCBBE63D16EF

SHA-1: 1392380EF7BAABD531F35EE5799C255A03B0DCBE

Check yours please and see if they agree. At the top of Kurt_Aust's first page is some options. One is:
B} Install .Net 3.5 sp1 or just .Net 2.0 sp2 or no .Net at all
Please take a look at this and the other comments about .NET. When you watch the batch file run, do you see KB958481 being executed? It is large and should take some time. Do you see this? Any errors? Enjoy, John.

Kenlau, what you are experiencing is NOT normal behaviour. As John has suggested please check the hashes to ensure that your versions of NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe and dotnetfx35.exe (note that .Net 3.5 SP0 has the same filename) aren't corrupted.

If they are valid please attach your session file (unlikely to be the cause, but we may as well rule it out).

Thanks for all the help.

I re-check all the hashes, and it all tally with what is posted on the guide. I think the problem is that I used HFSlip to slipstream, rather than nLite. The latest HFSlip x64 is able to slipstream IE8, WMP11 and all the hotfixes in one shot, which is why I prefer using it. I only use nLite after HFSlip to update the drivers.

I will probably resort to multi-stage .Net installation using runonceex.

Having never used it I can't help you with a source processed by HFSlip x64.

Unless you can confirm that the problem still exists after following all the steps outlined in the guide exactly (that is, using nLite) I doubt we can help you.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

• 3 weeks later...

May updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\112-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951066-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\232-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973354-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

@ Hotfix\424-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978542-x64-ENU.exe .. . 4,706,176 MS10-030 - Outlook Express

# RunOnce\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe 50,449,456 .Net 4.0 likely won't be needed for a while

As it was a nice quiet month I also expanded the supported applications list:

Foxit Reader (.msi version)

BurnAware free

VDownloader

but also found the latest version of Comodo firewall has some limitations and hence bought back support for v3:

You can either use the current version 4 .msi installer (direct link) which has install switches but also some application incompatibilities (DVDshrink & Vdownloader) and a fairly extensive list of pre-approved applications (which you may not want) or use the last of the 3.x.x.x series (direct link) with a very basic push-the-buttons AutoIt script.

Thanks again, Kurt_Aust. I am wondering about .NET. Do we really need all the versions and the SPs? Right now I am installing only 3.5 and the SPs on my XP x64 system. My plan on my W7 x64 and next XP install is to use only 4.0. What else, if anything, do I need with it? Thanks, John.

Thanks again, Kurt_Aust. I am wondering about .NET. Do we really need all the versions and the SPs? Right now I am installing only 3.5 and the SPs on my XP x64 system. My plan on my W7 x64 and next XP install is to use only 4.0. What else, if anything, do I need with it? Thanks, John.

The .Net 4.0 installer, unlike the .Net 3.5 one, is NOT cumulative, it only installs the additional components that comprise .Net 4.0. Hence on Windows Vista and earlier you will need to install .Net 3.5 sp1 (.Net 3.5 is already included in Windows 7).

Personally I wouldn't bother with .Net 4.0 for now as it will be a while (as noted in the guide) before we see applications using it in the wild, it was 2 years after the release of .Net 3.5 before I came across an application using it (most rely on .Net 2.0 only).

I probably would have waited longer to add .Net 4.0 in the (forlorn) hope that a fully updated .Net 2.0 through .Net 4.0 installer would be released, but .Net 4.0 had already been mentioned by Trance-Energy in the guide.

where is the torrent :(

It's in the config file on MediaFire or you could click anywhere in the main post that says "torent" and grab it from the tracker (with the new forum software it's much harder to see where actual links are).

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be so hard , i dont understand how to use the bath files , can i not only put the hotfix in nlite then GO :o? i have dowload all files from mediafire and the torrent in Confiq. ( 510mb folder )

I just want to have a fully update with DirectX ,IE , Mediaplayer, but i be so confused of all files and bath files :/