HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

TranceEnergy, are you running your .bat in the nLite GuiRunOnce? If so, %Source% is set when you get control and you don't want to reset it. Enjoy, John.

I have tried with and without it. But notice that the first batch file runs,"ConfigureDefaultServices.bat", and then the origin batch file quits after that, which is "xp.bat". And "xp.bat" is called from guirunonce, set with nlite.

I have also tried editing the nlite.cmd file and changed the line where it reads "cmd /r xp.bat" to simply just "xp.bat"

Not that that should matter anyway.

Nothing works.

edit: I also tried setting "rem" to the first batch file, so it would run the next one.

Same result, it quits after running it.

Edited by TranceEnergy

i set xp.bat to only do this:

"

If exist %1XP_1.bat REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce" /V "command0" /D "%1XP_1.bat %1 "

ShutDown /R /F /T 60

"

It does not write the command to registry. Seeing as it doesnt find it, it does shutdown tho.

Trance, I found that REG ADD is very picky about quotes, try removing the superfluous quotes:

If exist %1XP_1.bat REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce" /V "command0" /D "%1XP_1.bat %1 "

On another note I'm about to go on holidays until Saturday 10th April, so I'll have only intermittent access with my laptop.

Trance, I found that REG ADD is very picky about quotes, try removing the superfluous quotes:

On another note I'm about to go on holidays until Saturday 10th April, so I'll have only intermittent access with my laptop.

The format i wrote this in is the format of which i have used to write houndreds of batch scripts that work without fail.

I'll still test it tho.

I'll test for invisible escape character codes afterwards,tho i have no idea how that could end up in there, but i have withnessed that before.. But I am at my wit's end at this idiotic problem.

edit: The problem that the batch quits after running the first batch file still persist.

Edited by TranceEnergy

CALL should work the same as CMD /R, TranceEnergy.

If an EXIT command exists in the second batch script then it might possibly end all batch processing. To end a script in a chain, "GOTO :eof" would be safer. Just a thought.

Have fun on holiday, Kurt_Aust. :)

Edited by 5eraph

I know, but this doesnt make sense. I've never needed to write anything else then the name of the batchfile.

Anyway, while tedious indeed, i'll give it a go. Hoping it will work!

edit: The only "exit" command that exists stems from the generated file "nlite.cmd" by nlite itself that has a "cmd /r xp.bat" (i've tried without cmd /r there as well, as i've pointed out earlier). But as i said thats generated by nlite and not something i've added.

edit2:

I'm sorry for all the last posts guys. It seems to be working now, but i'll still hold my breath for a bit longer.

I remember used *used to* have cmd /r for my batches but i stopped the practice,since it wasnt necessary. I don't understand what has happened that has made it necessary again. Because these batches are the same as they have been, except for that i am adding the run command to runonce (i used my own way of doing it via a shortcut to the startmenu/start up folder that directed to a copied file to systemdrive).

Running the install now in Sun VirtualBox and it's so far going great. Btw Sun VirtualBox seems to run a lot faster then Vmware, for some reason.

Edited by TranceEnergy

It seems to be working great but i ran into another thing which i took in use to avoid having

a batch file call a truckload of other batch files:

for %A in (%source%Setup\ImportSettings2Registry\*.bat) do call "%~A"

This doesnt work, but if you replace %source% with f.ex d:\ it will.

Any idea for a fix?

edit: never mind, it might be just that the xp2 bat didnt run.

edit2: xp 2 batch running but I now still had to resort to using a batch to call a whole folder full of other batches,

instead of something neat as the command line above. Don't have time to spend more time to find a working command for it now =(

Edited by TranceEnergy

I'm merging several houndreds of batch files. Are there any file size limit and length limit of command line in batch files for x64 xp?

I've tested doing command line up to houndreds of characters, but some of my command lines are maybe a thousand chars+.

They work fine when testing on up and running system, but i wonder if that'll change once it's reinstall time...

edit: Never mind, again. All my batches run perfectly! Best install yet! =)

Edited by TranceEnergy

• 3 weeks later...

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) x86 n x64

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0A391ABD-25C1-4FC0-919F-B21F31AB88B7&displaylang=en

edit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E5AD0459-CBCC-4B4F-97B6-FB17111CF544&displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Standalone Installer)

I'm going to check out this client profile version.

Edited by TranceEnergy

April updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\364-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB977165-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\368-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978251-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\904-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978207-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\916-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978506-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

@ . . . 396-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980232-x64-ENU.exe .. . 1,239,424 MS10-020 - SMB Client

@ . . . 400-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB977816-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 865,152 MS10-026 - MPEG Layer-3 Codecs

@ . . . 404-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB979309-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 722,816 MS10-019 - Cabinet File Viewer

@ . . . 408-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978338-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 964,480 MS10-029 - Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)

# 412-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB979683-x64-ENU.exe .. . 7,823,232 MS10-021 - Kernel

@ . . . 416-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB976323-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 970,624 MS10-024 - SMTP Service

@ . . . 420-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB978601-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 870,272 MS10-019 - Authenticode Verification

# 904-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980182-x64-ENU.exe 40,607,616 MS10-018 - Cumulative Security Update

@ . . . 912-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB981332-x64-ENU.exe . 1,120,128 MS10-022 - VBScript Scripting Engine

@ . . . 916-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB980302-x64-ENU.exe .. . 680,832 Compatibility View list

Also 5eraph has released a new version of the base IE8 AddOn, however this is a purely optional update (improved Server 2003 compatibility)

# 900-5er_IE8_Addon_2009-03_4_x64.7z 24,193,923 5eraph's Internet Explorer 8 AddOn

.Net 4.0 will be added at a later date, as I'm hoping a fully updated .Net installer might be released by next month (I can dream).

The site is throwing a error when I try to upload the config.zip file so for now it will be over at MediaFire (I really preferred the old version of the site)

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust, thanks again for your work. One thing, I already had a 908-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB976662-x64-ENU.exe in my Hotfix folder, so I ended up with two, one without the 908. Thanks, John.

EDIT: What is the deal with 5eraph's Internet Explorer 8 AddOn? It is dated 2009-03_4. Is that last number just a version number?

Edited by johnhc

Yep, my bad, 908-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB976662-x64-ENU.exe already existed, I cut too wide a swathe with my copy and paste.

The last number of 5eraph's IE8 AddOn is indeed just the version number, anything from version 2 onwards is OK for our purposes:

[2009/06/14 13:30 UTC] - 2009-03_1 and 2009-06_2

v2009-03_1 released containing no updates or tweaks.

For users of Kurt_Aust's guide who prefer to slipstream updates individually.

[2009/10/05 03:45 UTC] - 2009-03_2 and 2009-09_1

Quick Launch issue corrected in both addons.

[2009/12/10 19:00 UTC] - 2009-03_3 and 2009-12_1

INF code cleanup in both addons.

Simpler MOVE commands are used for delayed file replacement instead of "PendingFileRenameOperations". As consequences, the files are replaced earlier—at T-13 instead of first logon—and the files are renamed independently of other pending system file rename operations. (Thanks again, YumeYao. Smile)

All line indentation (whitespace) has been removed. This should make the file somewhat smaller. nLite should no longer find whitespace to remove; therefore, it should no longer need to edit almost every line of the file. Wink

[2010/03/23 23:30 UTC] - 2009-03_4 and 2010-03_1

Both addons were made more compatible with Windows 2003 x64.

XP-specific IE.inf has been removed in favor of directly editing the existing file in the source through [ExtraFileEdits].

Enhanced Security Configuration (IE Hardening) now functions correctly in Windows 2003.

Kurt_Aust is correct concerning IE8 AddOn versioning.

5er_IE8_Addon_2010-MM_V_x64.7z 5eraph's current Internet Explorer 8 AddOn

To further clarify: YYYY-MM_V

• YYYY-MM — The four-digit year and two-digit month reflect the date at which the addon was "current" with respect to the described date's Patch Tuesday. IE8 RTM was released to the web 19 March, 2009. The date of the non-updated addon reflects this with 2009-03.
    V — This is a simple ordinal that describes the release number of the addon within the given month. I prefer using this instead of the day of the month due to the fact that it may be necessary to release more than one update per calendar day if I somehow manage to really screw something up. It also makes a great deal more sense when updating the non-updated addon.
    For the purpose of my addon/update pack date scheme, Patch Tuesday is the first day of the month. For this reason, you may see releases like the following in the changelog:
[2009/10/05 03:45 UTC] - 2009-09_1

I don't want to say that I'm finished working on the non-updated addon. I'm always open to suggestions for improvement. And Microsoft could have a bug in IE8 that requires a third-party fix, like the Quick Launch issue found back in July. When I'm done learning about IE8 in XP/2003 x64, I'll call it finished. :)

Edited by 5eraph