HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

Genu:

I did a test using your last session.ini, but the "show desktop" icon was there for me. 5eraph has indicated that he should be able to resume work on his update packs soon and that he will be implementing a separate fix for this issue, maybe that will work for you.

I did however note that you have an erroneous hotfix in your list, "120-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956744-x64-ENU.exe" is only for users of 5eraph's update pack, those using the original Microsoft hotfixes need to place "WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956744-x64-ENU.exe" at RunOnce.

_other_:

This guide should still work without such problems on a x86 machine, I tested it a couple of times on a horrible old klunker of a Win 2000 box when I was confirming that SP2 could be integrated using the files from 2K3 x86 SP2. Also there have been 150 downloads of the files required for integrating SP2 so at least that many have run the process on a x86 box.

Do the actual executable files for KB971032 et al get copied to \AMD64\SVCPACK when you run the process on your x86 box?

_other_:

This guide should still work without such problems on a x86 machine, I tested it a couple of times on a horrible old klunker of a Win 2000 box when I was confirming that SP2 could be integrated using the files from 2K3 x86 SP2. Also there have been 150 downloads of the files required for integrating SP2 so at least that many have run the process on a x86 box.

Do the actual executable files for KB971032 et al get copied to \AMD64\SVCPACK when you run the process on your x86 box?

None of the hotfixes I listed are included in \AMD64\SVCPACK in any form. I'm not intergrating SP2 because I'm starting from a SP2a source disc. I've tried this on three different XP x86 macines including one with a fresh install and only the post SP3 critical patches (built with nlite) with no luck.

-other_

_Other_:

I've done a few VM tests and I see what you mean, I suspect that it is the result of an x86 OS not being able to determine which x64 hotfixes cannot be integrated and instead must be executed at T-13.

Try the following:

1. Run the process as normal (yes, you'll get errors)

2. At step 9 also copy the hotfix directory across

3. Use the updated attached Run1_XP-64.bat (remove the .txt extension)

If it works I'll update the guide over the weekend.

Thanks Kurt,

The batch file worked well with a couple minor exceptions:

1) For me, the following hot fixes don't fail in nlite and were therefore redundant: 024 (KB923789), 120 (KB956744) and 148 (KB954459).

2) I received a cmd syntax error on 024 (flashplayer). I'm guessing it doesn't support one or both of the switches.

After installation I ran Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer with the September catalog file (this is a network isolated machine) and it showed no critical updates missing (except KB890830 of course).

Thanks for all your work on this guide!

_other_

Edited by _other_

@Kurt_Aust,

I just found this thread today. So far, I am impressed. I have not tried it, yet. But, I will tomorrow. That is, after I have looked over the scripts. At first glance they look good.

I have all of the hotfixes, etc and I am able to seed your torrents. I don't have a lot of bw, but every little bit, right?

~Jonnyboy

Question (Tried to search for the answer).

How close is this guide to working on an x86 OS?

I want to set one up starting with a XP x86 SP3 CD.

At the very least, how did you get a listing of all of the available updates?

Thanks.

Edited by thecaptainjs

Question (Tried to search for the answer).

How close is this guide to working on an x86 OS?

I want to set one up starting with a XP x86 SP3 CD.

At the very least, how did you get a listing of all of the available updates?

Thanks.

The technique isnearly the same, the patches and hotfixes are different of course.

In general Unattended Windows helps and there is an article Getting the hotfixes or you may have a look into this thread.

Updated Guide and Run1_XP-64.bat to deal with hotfixes not being set to execute from SVCpack when the process is run under x86 Windows.

Genu:

Yes I know about the SPTD update, but as the changelog indicates that the only modifications have been Win7 compatibility fixes, I don't see any need to add support for it into the batch files over the one that can be extracted from the actual daemon tools installer..

• 2 weeks later...

Setup/Istaller for "Grant access"

Hello everybody.

I homemade the installer to "Thanks Kurt_Aust" and because I am a little laziness and I like make my life easy as possible.

The installer can be open whit 7-zip or you can make a silent install ( i.e "Grant access 1.1.exe" /S ).

I hope this installer and the source code of installer be usefull to many people.

The installer source code can be compiled with

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

In this version I take into account Kurt_Aust's suggestion :

1. The folder name on the start menu is not fully capitalized, should be "Grant Access" rather than "Grant access", it just looks out of place.

OK. Fixed.

2. The links within the folder are in a mix of Spanish and English (including the tooltips), somewhat confusing, do 2 versions perhaps?

OK, at the moment only english version.

3. There is a link to the *.nsi file in the folder, pointless as Windows has no idea what to do with it.

OK, Deleted. But the source code still there.

4. There is a link to the download readme, also pointless as one is not using the original installer.

OK, Deleted.

5. I'd name the link to the subinacl.htm file "Advanced Reference" with the tootip "Command line options for SubInACL".

OK, Fixed.

6. As your installer adds a link to the SubInACL.htm file, you should delete the last paragraph of the readme.txt file.

OK. Fixed.

7. Is there any way the installer can create shortcuts with the advanced property "Run with different credentials" set? Without it set, it's all too easy to forget and only find out that you missed this critical step after you've entered all your data.

Mmmm. I just copy the Kurt_Aust's pre-maded links. I did not find how to create shortcuts with the advanced property "Run with different credentials" set, if anybody know "how to" please tell us.

Grant Access 1.1.exe

MD5: c06f01f98cb57e8c82a657ea05a2a24f

SHA-1: 6b44c4605aa751c80e0016ff5b844f46b21349aa

Good luck to all.

P.D. The source code of installer are Copyleft.

Grant_Access_1.1.exe

Edited by dedalo27

Probably not the most elegant way of doing it, but the following code finally gives the boot to that randomly named leftover .Net 3.5 setup folder:

rem delete leftover .Net setup directory (requires SubInACL)
Reg Export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP Version 2003\SP3\KB954550-v7\Filelist\1" %Temp%\dotNet35folder.reg
Type %Temp%\dotNet35folder.reg | Find "Location" > %Temp%\dotNet35folder.txt
For /F %%N in (%Temp%\dotNet35folder.txt) do Set dN0=%%N
Set dN1=%dN0:~0,-19%
Set dNdrive=%dN1:~12,2%
Set dNdirec=%dN1:~16%
SubInACL /Subdirectories "%dNdrive%\%dNdirec%"\ /Grant=Everyone
RmDir /S /Q %dNdrive%\%dNdirec%
Del %Temp%\dotNet35folder.*

Also added application install support for IrfanView.

• 2 weeks later...
7. Is there any way the installer can create shortcuts with the advanced property "Run with different credentials" set?

Normally this can be done by e.g. notepad

runas /user:%COMPUTERNAME%\Administrator "%ComSpec% /C notepad"

or with a batch

@ECHO OFF
runas /user:%COMPUTERNAME%\Administrator
Admin.bat

you may have a look at this piece iof software : RunasSpc http://www.robotronic.de/runasspcEn.html